Cut out image?

Associate
I'm very new to graphic manipulation and am having some difficulties.

I am trying to cut out the image of some falcons from their background so I can use them within a web page. I'm using photoshop CS but am getting really lost. Could anyone explain how I might achieve this or demonstrate using one of my pictures below. Thanks.

Picture095.jpg

084.jpg

Falcon22.jpg

Soldato
Hi there,

I am unsure about CS, but there was a feature in elements, much cheaper version of Photoshop CS and that allows you to have a tool and scribble inside the picture you wanted and it would get rid of everything else.

Here is an example of the bottom one i did quickly in Paint Shop Pro using the background errazer. Could be done better if I spend more time on it:

I saved it in PNG. so when you donwload it, it should be transparent background.

61f870c229_Image1.png

Conrad11...

[edit]

sorry about the remaining green bits......I am sure you can cut them out

Last edited:
Soldato
You use the Magic Wand Tool, the icon for it is this:

wand.jpg

and you can also select it by pressing W. You may need to play around with the tolerance settings though

Soldato
I always use Filter > Extract to do something like this. You highlight the edges with the green pen then fill the shape you want to keep with the blue paint thingy. Play around with the other tools in the screen, the edge correction tool is very useful. Also there is the magnetic lasso tool in the main toolbar.

Soldato
The magnetic lasso is only really any good if the image you're cutting out is in high contrast to its background. Some of those pictures should come up beautifully with the Magnetic Lasso. The Magic Wand is my prefered method of cutting out an image, unless it really complicated/details I bite the bullet and get the Polygonal Lasso out. Takes much longer but you can get it almost perfect.

If you use a combination of tools and using the selection options [New Selection, Add to, Subtract] then you should get a good result.

www.good-tutorials.com - search here and there should be a tutorial on it if you want more in-depth info :)

SiriusB

Associate
OP
Thanks guys for all your help. I'll go away and have a play around with your recommendations.

Wow sfx !! How did you do that? I didn't want the post but the bird's edges look perfect. Do you do or use something different from what the other guys have recommended? If so what or how? Looks great. Thanks.

Soldato
Thats excellent sfx, i'd be interested i knowing what you did to get those results. Mine generally come out more like sunlitsix's effort (no offense!) unless i spend ages tweaking with other tools.

sfx

sfx

Associate
Cheers guys :)

Whenever I do something like this I always use the Polygonal Lasso Tool.

Cheers,

sfx

Back
Top Bottom