Birthday what digital camera £500 ?

Associate
Birthday next week and looking for a new camera
Ordered the e1 on apples site but as this may never arrive looking for something.
d50 looks good, and the minolta a2 is a bargain but there is so much conflicting advice. suggestions very welcome.
happy new year, peter

Permabanned
Nikon D50 or maybe Canon 350D (if Canon are still doing cashback?)

Either of those will have noticeabley better quality than any 'compact' camera, far superior handling, more upgradeabilty, more control.

However, to get the best from camera's like these you need to be prepared to put the effort in, an expensive camera won't magically make your pictures come out better, they will just give you that extra technical capability if you should choose to use them.

The D50 can be had for around £450 with 18-55mm Lens, and £60-£70 for a Sandisk 1GB ULTRA II SD Card would come out about £520 :)

Associate
if you shop around on the high street you can still get 'B stock' 350d for about £450. had 5 of them at work and they were all complete and in top condition. only 6 months warranty though but that isnt really an issue.

Associate
Lot's of top suggestions here,must say i went out to buy the 350d today and although i still might, found it a little small and awkward to be honest.
Had the 350,Nikon d50-d70s+ the Minolta 5 and 7 out in the shop and for feel alone it would be a toss up between the minolta's and Nikon's.
I suspect it's a case of buying and then getting used to the camera so in the end you forget about it.
One other camera i think should be mentioned in this thread is the Sony DSC-R1, dslr sized ccd and fantastic len's, seems like a serious bit of kit for around £570-590.

Back
Top Bottom