Getting bored with WoW...

Associate
I'm sad to say it, but it's looking like I'm reaching the end of my WoW days.

I hit lvl60 a few weeks back and since then have spent my time getting Lightforge Armor, playing the Battlegrounds and raiding MC. I'm BORED!

Grinding from 1-59 was a blast and I loved every minute, but I find I now spend most of my time faffing around while waiting in BG queues!!
As a Paladin, raiding is dull and at times irritating as you watch loot, which you can put to good use, get passed by you as your not on the Priority list. Add to the mix the DKP system, which does nothing but favour the people with far too much time on their hands and you have Raids that add up to nothing. As a casual player it's impossible for me to outbid someone.

With my life at the moment I have a lot of time to play video games, but not always in one long chunk. I might have an hour here, and hour there. But not 3-5 hours in one stretch. WoW when you hit lvl60 doesn't cater for players like me. Battlegrounds take one hour to get into, then in the case of AV, can take 3-5 hours to finish. I usually log off long before I get into the Battleground.

So...that's what I stand atm. I have a lvl60 Paladin, lvl52 Rogue and 4 other low lvl characters which i can't bring myself to level. Having had a great time with WoW I think I'm finally starting to move on....but to what?

Anyone have any suggestions? I've got Guild Wars but it didn't grab me when I first tried it. I want a Pick up and Play MMORPG really. I can't commit to 3 hours for a instance run, it's not healthy and it's not always fun.

Associate
Eve-Online

There's a free trial available (14 days) and it takes a little while to get into, but once you're in, it's not easy to get out :p

Also check out the eve thread on these here forums Eve Thread where lots of people congregate, chat, badmouth each other etc...

Dymetrie
CEO
OcUK corp

Soldato
Eve Online or Dark Age of Camelot. At least when you hit the level cap in DAOC you've still got the inter-realm wars to keep you busy (proper large scale wars and no silly queues).

Eve will just swallow you whole :D

Associate
Yeah I know the feeling. I am in a slightly worse position in that the guilds I had been in folded or were poor so was either soloing or in pickup groups (painful). However being 60 for a 2 or 3 months now I've done virtually nothing - started another character but in the end it was playing for playings sake. Whilst there are loads of things to see for me still in the game both myself and a m8 are cancelling our subs. I think the final straw for me was being in a Q for the 1st time the other night. I don't pay to Q my time is short enough as it is!! I feel sort of disapointed in WoW as you need to be a hardcore player to see / do the best and my 2 hours of an evening prevents me from seeing the rest of the game - I got into WoW as it was hailed as the more casual players RPG (no such thing exists I think). Now I'd rather do some form of pickup gaming on my 360 or have a quick DM on Cod2,HL2 etc where there is no pressure and its just having a bit of fun.

Associate
I feel your pain I hit 60 was in a guild that didn't have enough members to do instances all the time.

Started another character got him to 45 and then though hmmm I will end up with two level 60 characters with nothing to do.

Did enjoy battlegrounds I was working towards my frost wolf mount. Never did get it though as the other new battleground opened up and no one wanted to play the old ones.

I play eve now mainly and sometimes battlefield 2 when I can actually get it to work that is.

Associate
The guild i'm in is small/medium sized (110 characters atm), but made up mainly of casual players. Although we have about 20 level 60's it is pretty rare that we are all online at the same time....or have enough time to do an instance.

So, we don't do the MC thing.....be too much of a commitment for most of our people and we would also need to team up with another couple of guilds to help us. For this reason we have also had a slow exodus of our more active level 60s from the guild over time....we have lost 7 that I can think of.

Its frustrating that we can't do much to stop them leaving...and they all leave without really wanting to.

There must be dozens of guilds on each server in a similar situation, but ultimately there is little to do for casual players when you hit 60...most of my guild just start an alt.

The more active players will migrate towards the raiding guilds leaving lots of smaller guilds just containing casual players.

I think there needs to be a built in 'alliance' system, to facilitate smaller guilds teaming up with each other.

A set of quick high level instances or raid zones that are suitable for smaller groups would also be nice to give us a bit more to do when we hit 60, which doesn't require 3 or 4 hours at a time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did a few MC raids, then realised that I was throwing away 3-4 hours of an evening ona very boring thing with little to no reward :(

I'm paid up til march, so I've just been ganking lowbies out of boredom, might try and sell my acc when it's done.

Was great fun to play initially, but the high-end content is far too time consuming at single stretches.

I think I'll be leaving the land of MMOPRGs due to the new gf anyways

Associate
WoW is more like voluntary work than a game. It almost ruined gaming for me. I'm on a break with it at the moment and really enjoying console games. Like everyone else who has posted so far, I simply dont have the time to grind for hours and hours, and i've not even got a level 60 char yet - when surely it will get worse!

Finished Kameo last night, playing through Condemned next, with a bit (ok, a lot!) of Animal Crossing (DS) as well. Its all good. :D

Associate
I second that. I was in the shower thinking about it .. I mean .. im Level 58 .. I COULD get to 60 just grinding, but then what am I going to do? I dont play enough to be in a big raiding guild as I just dont have the time. I could play battlegrounds but then that would be in a pickup group against a guild team most likely on voice comms so i'd probably get destroyed. The endgame has no draw for me at the moment unfortunately.

Its a shame as I was a WoW addict for a long time and I really do enjoy the game. I just dont have enough time/dedication to get the most out of it at higher levels.

Associate
Well, there's the expansion pack coming out with a new continent and stuff. I hope it doesn't get as boring for me when I hit 60. I'm looking more forward to wearing cool-looking armour at the moment than hitting Level 60 :p Hopefully I'll still reach Level 60 by the time the expansion is out and then I'll start a new sexy female Blood Elf Hunter and get her to Level 50 at least by the summer. Perfect as I'm applying to spend a year at California next year studying so no time for WoW.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd say 90% of the games instances are far too long. Forcing someone to play for 3 hours straight is unhealthy. The only instances I enjoyed were The Stockades (can be done in under an hour) and Stratholme Baron Side (again, can be done in an hour). Larger ones like BRD (the Jailbreak quest) are just insane and i refuse to do them.

I've got several alts, and I'm tempted to lvl them, but I'm just putting time into something that I ultimatly wont use.

I tried Eve Online afew months back and found it far too complex for me...I'm not thick, but Eve just scared me off.

I've started fiddling with Guild Wars today, which looks a lot more catered for players like myself. Mostly Single Player content with MMORPG PvP content which doesn't take hours to complete. It doesn't seem as nice a friendly as WoW started off though, but I'm sure I'll get into it. Just reading the GW thread now.

Soldato
I agree that once you hit 60, its really only for the hardcore on WoW. I'm single and don't exactly have a hectic lifestyle, and the only time I have chance to do instances @ 60 is on the weekend.

How the hell half these people get chance to do MC/BWL runs I'll never know. Are you all students or what? :p

I don't mind doing 10-15 man raids to BRD, Strat or Scholo...but the 5man just takes waaay too long, and I just don't have the time. So right now it's just a matter of constantly raiding places looking for my shadowcraft gear. Once I've got it all...well, there's not much else.

Out of interest - I've heard it takes about 12 hours for MC/BWL etc - I know it "saves" your progress after bosses...but still, add in "gathering time" before each visit and your looking at playing every night....is that right??

Associate
I'm afraid that I wont be the voice to get you to stay in wow. I have a 60 shammy and an alt in every class (all lowbie levels), heck I've even got some alli alts on a different server, but as pretty much all of you have said, the high end content is just rediculous. It takes far to long, and offers pretty much nothing in return if your not a hardcore gamer.

I am in quite an active guild, that raid ony/mc everyweek and random world boss' when they get the chance, and I'll admit its fun to be a part of a massive raid, but it just takes far to long. For example I spent 8hrs in zulgarub last bank holiday monday, and came away with nothing, the following day was mc, and the same thing happened. Its put me right off for now :/

O and I once spent 5hrs in brd doing warlords command :( that was the end of random groups for me :eek:

Edit: I have gone from playing for a few hours everynight to a few hours a week in the past month or so because of this, much to a friends dismay, as I'm the one that introduced him to wow, and now he is hooked :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've been logging in and out all day, I just can't bring myself to play with any of my characters.

Think I'll be cancelling my subscription for awhile, see if anything else catches my attention.

(Still not "feeling" Guild Wars at the moment. Playing a lvl2 Warrior/Elementalist. It's a lot of running around at the moment...)

Hitman
Permabanned
I played for a little while, but to be honest it does get very boring at end game if you don't just dedicate your life to it. A guy in my guild almost lost his girlfriend because they were both doing MC every night and didn't actually make time for each other!
As far as I'm aware, Blizzard aren't deleting any characters yet, so if you did decide you wanted to come back and level one of your alts you could.

I would reccomend trying the EVE 14 day trial. There are plenty of friendly people on the forums who play and would be able to at least give some advice. It's boring if you don't know what you're doing, as the learning curve is pretty immense, but it can be good fun once you get into it.

Soldato
I 've been playing wow since the last 2 weeks of beta, and only had a max of 2 months off really.... Got two high level characters, one of which has its own guild which I try to run along with quite a few nice officers... now we have a lot of lvl 60's (around 50-60) all getting quite bored as some are casual some are serious, so to solve this we're going to merge with a guild in a simular situation :). Basically I've saved the game for me!... We've already had a successful MC raid (2nd time there) downing 4 bosses, and then we called it a night! Hell I'm glad we're merging is all I can say, because as a lvl 60 rogue which everyone has... i wouldnt be able to find a raiding guild at all if i was on my billy :p.

Anyway, with regards to eve... I played that for about 6 months, and damn looking back on that game I think why? It's stupid to think when you get so far into the game get such a massive skill set, a uber battleship with uber gear.... and BOOM your blown up by a set of gate campers!!... that sucks tbh... you end up having to travel in your uber fast interceptor, or in big groups... which really sucks for me.. and half of the time you either spend frigging mining or jumping 30 jumps just to pick up some ore to make your missiles with :/

Damn what a rant :).

Soldato
Compared with Everquest (the original one anyway) you guys have it ridiculously easy!

Being in a high end raiding guild was a full-time job and that is no exhaggeration. You were expected to attend raids that lasted around 8-12 hours every single night and farm zone flags and other equally tedious rubbish during the day every day. As for loot? Expect to have put in months of raiding before the guild would consider you for anything other than "throw-away" drops. Not to mention getting to 60 was much more of a chore in EQ than in WoW.

Pfft... Excuse me, i'm just bitter that I wasted so much of my life on that game a few years ago. :p

Soldato
I found there was an invisible barrier to break through once I hit level 60, it's this barrier that determines who stays on after level 60, and who leaves the game entirely. You have to find something that will keep you interested for a long time in WoW after level 60, for me it was PvP and trying to attain the highest rank possible, for others it's end game raiding such as BWL and the new AQ.

You probably find yourself waiting quite long in BG queues because you're Alliance, and Alliance tend to outnumber Horde on most servers. Take Draenor for instance where the Alliance : Horde ratio is reported to be something like 4:1, Horde wait on average around 2 minutes to get into their BG of choice, whereas our Alliance counterparts are waiting around 1-2 hours to get just one game. This may not be the case on your server, but just wanted to mention it anyways.

I'm not surprised you're getting bored with the game with a Paladin as your main. One time I was PvPing a Paladin 1v1, and I went off half way through the fight and made myself a cup of tea while he was bubbling-up, such a boring class to fight, I can only imagine it's a boring class to play too, I could be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom