• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce 7800 AGP coming

Soldato
Seems that core NVIDIA partners are set to inject a healthy dose of ‘customer centric’ love into those of us still running AGP mainboards with the introduction of an AGP 8x variant of its GeForce 7800GS.

The AGP variant of the NVIDIA GeForce 7800GS seems set to feature a core GPU frequency of 350MHz, a frequency dictated by the fact that it’s, unsurprisingly, a PCIe to AGP bridged design.

However, despite this the forthcoming NVIDIA GeForce 7800GS AGP is believed to bring more grunt to your gaming than last years GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP, and we think NVIDIA and its partners should be commended for giving its customers the choice of another upgrade path, which is very likely giving a large part of the market just what it wants.

Expect the adrenalin to start with premier NVIDIA partners - eVGA and XFX Graphics on the 2nd February 2006.

Associate
It certainly is good news. PCI-E is obviously the future, but AGP isn't redundant. I have a clawhammer 3700, hardly a bad chip, yet In the future I might not be able to get the most out of It simply because ATI/Nvidia refuse to manufacure AGP. It's nice to know that I still have a viable upgrade should I want to change my X800.

Anyone know how this will affect prices of AGP boards?

Caporegime
Interesting, wasn't long back that Nvidia said the 7800 GS was just for developers, and would not be brought out, wonder why the change around, mind you it doesn't actually say there if this is what Nvidia are saying, but they did state before that it was not going to be produced as said, was a big thread on it not long back.

Would be good news for those still stuck on AGP if they have actually changed their minds now. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice, But I'd be suprised if a 7800GS would be much quicker than a 6800Ultra.

Good for people still on 9800Pro's and 6600's - Probabaly not worth it for people on 6800's already.

Soldato
i reckon it is - my 6800nu at 128mb struggles and i cant be bothered to buy a new pc just need a new gfx card - and the x850xtpe is too expensive - may aswell upgrade everything at the price of a x850xtpe

Soldato
ah this is great news, i have a 9800pro and am in a bit of limbo as i want a noticeable performance boost when i upgrade which i dont think i will see that much in new games if i go to a 6800x variety...

thanks nvidia!

Soldato
also anyone got any specs on this?

how will it compare to the 7800gt pcie card?

does gs = less pipelines like it does in the case of 6800gs vs 6800gt

Associate
Vegeta said:
i reckon it is - my 6800nu at 128mb struggles and i cant be bothered to buy a new pc just need a new gfx card - and the x850xtpe is too expensive - may aswell upgrade everything at the price of a x850xtpe
You say the x850xtpe is too expensive but what kind of price do you think this will be at when it comes out on agp??? If a 6800gs is at £190 I think 7800's will be a fair bit more. 2nd hand 6800 ultras go for over £200.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seeing as any AGP 7800GS would be the quickest AGP card on the market, they could easily charge £300+ for it and people would still buy it.

Soldato
Like many I am still stuck on AGP.

What Nvidia need to realise is that AGP users can sell their mobo+ram+gfx card for about the same as it costs to buy a PCI-X mobo + DDR2 ram.

If the AGP 7800GS would cost @ least around the same as a PCI-X 7800GT it would not be worth it for most people to upgrade (for me I can get £195 for my old hardware and that will buy a decent mobo + DDR2 ram). As I still have to fund the new gfx card why should I bother with an older now inferior technology?

This should be priced around the £150 mark & certainly no higher than £200 tops but I fear Nvidia will probably have it for £350 + citing the high cost of the PCI-X to AGP bridge components.

Soldato
my guess is that it's going to be about the £250 mark, probably more. Wish they had announced this sooner, just ordered an opty 165. Ah well never mind!

Soldato
a lot of people cant or dont want to get rid of their old motherboard, but want more performance in games, so will buy an AGP card that costs £300+. Upgrading a motherboard, installing a new OS etc is beyond most consumer PC users skill, shoving in a new card isn't. There is still a massive market for high end AGP cards I reckon.

Last edited:
Soldato
wicked was thinking of replacing 6800gt but that would have meant £100 on top for a new MB , so if its a decent price i might be persuaded, how long will will they take to arrive ?

Back
Top Bottom