SG or Les Paul? (Gibson/Epiphone)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I'm looking at buying a new guitar. It'll most likely be the Epiphone versions, which are rated very highly against their Gibson counterparts. However I can't decide whether I'd prefer the SG or Les Paul. I like the look and sound of both of them, the Les Paul is the more bluesy style guitar I've heard, yet you see many rock bands using them.

I've not had a chance to play either of them first-hand yet, if someone who owns either (both would be great) could post some sound samples showing their tone differences that would be nice, it's hard to find sound clips playing the same riff. I play pretty much anything, from rock and metal to nice blues style riffs.

So, what would you personally prefer? :).

Sic

Sic

Soldato
i personally prefer an LP. i like the weight, the shape, and not feeling like i should be dressed for first school when i play it. plus i think the weight of the LP gives it a fuller sound, the SG sounds too tinny for my liking.

best thing i can suggest is to get to a shop and give them both a good razz...but it looks like you're already planning that. unfortunately i cant post any samples because my amp is broken.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
It seems most people prefer the LP then (from reading online, talking to my friends etc). I guess I should be looking at the standard (or above) specs rather than the specials (they only have 2 controls, I think). Although, I'd of personaly made standard the povety spec and special the better spec :D.

Soldato
Sic said:
why though?

Resonance - play a note with the Epiphone G400 SG, put the thing down go have a brew and come back, it will still be playing the note for you :D

I have one, I build guitars for a living and have over £30k's worth of guitars in my colletion and its by far one of the best in my collection, only cost me £225 new. Awesome sound, easy to play and looks the dogs danglies.

Stick Gibson Burstbuckers in one and only the hardest of the hardcore will be able to tell the difference between the Epiphone and a proper Gibson with burstbuckers imo.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I had a generic strat copy for about 10 years and when I finally got round to buying a new guitar I went for an Epiphone SG without hesitation.

I just always loved the look and the way they play, love the sound as well.

I do like the LP don't get me wrong, but for now the SG is what I want. My only quandry now is do I bother replacing it with a Gibson SG, even though I don't play often? As much as I want one can I justify it? :)

Saying that I have got my eye on a nice little pignose :)

Man of Honour
This is only preference but over 35 years I've had many guitars and I've owned 3 Gibson SG's which have all been OK. It was only when I had a Gibson Les Paul Standard about 7 years ago that I felt fulfilled. My rhythm guitarist has got 3 Gibson SG's and they feel like planks. In fact they are called '*****hawk' 'Son of *****hawk' and 'The Plank'. You certainly wouldn't give Les Pauls names like that.

Soldato
ive played i think two Les Pauls, a Black Beauty and a Cherry sunburst Les Paul Standard. the black beauty was for sale for £1600 i think in Vintage and Rare in Bath. i played it.. and it was like :eek: but comimg from a Blues guitarist (me :D) i played a 1970 SG Standard which was basically Angus Youngs signiture SG but obviously better build quality as its a standard, and it had the standard Bigsby tail piece without the signiture on it. i did really really like that. but if its blues youre looking for i wouldnt (personally) go for either, id look around for a nice 70's Custom Shop Strat. in my view its the best blues guitar ive played. but if it was then everyone would have one :p

the best thing you can do is go out and try a few out.. only way youre going to know if you like it or not.

Associate
My Current workhorse is an Epi LP Custom - Flame burst. Removed the Epi V-mags and put some SD SH-14s (custom 5s) in. Kicks ass royally. Really versitile.
Currently using it with a JCM2000 and the only FX i use are the built in reverb and a Marshall GV-2 distortion/overdrive. I need nothing else. Sounds good for metal if you hit the tone shift and wind the EQs back a bit on Lead2. Lead1 is less saturated and better for heavy rock, Crunch is good for rock/indie/punk stuff, add some more kick with a pedal you can get more mid rich heavyness. Then either low low gain on Lead or whe clean channel you get soft bluesy and some light airy stuff. The guitar laps up all of these in its stride. Not to mention having an LP strapped to you just gives you that look of "i know exactly what i'm doing, and it's melting your face."

Oh and I knocked it over and the headstock broke a chink of plaster out of the wall and not a scratch in the finish :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
Completely forgot I made this thread :D.

I was hoping for a one-sided vote, but it seems pretty even, makes my choice harder :D. I only have a MG15DFX amp at the moment so I'm probably going to upgrade that some time too, too many choices of amp though.

I'm liking the fact it seems pretty tough, the amount of times I've moved and smacked my Yamaha against the wall :D

Soldato
I'd go for the Les Paul. I've played both but the LP just feels better. Thicker sound and bags of sustain. You'll probably need a chiropractor on speed dial because of the weight though! Plus, a sunburst LP with Chrome hardware is the best looking guitar in history of course!

Man of Honour
elroberto said:
I'd go for the Les Paul. I've played both but the LP just feels better. Thicker sound and bags of sustain. You'll probably need a chiropractor on speed dial because of the weight though! Plus, a sunburst LP with Chrome hardware is the best looking guitar in history of course!

A Gibson Les Paul is heavy in weight?
The guitar 3rd from the left is what you call heavy - 70's Yamaha SG2000.
Its made of lead.

collection.jpg

Man of Honour
Blackvault said:
Damn You Dmpoole :D nice weight. Bet the tone is nice and thick then? Also looking at that Strat makes me cry. Why did you put a Floyd Rose on it? :(

Blackvault

Very thick but not so different than the Les Paul.

I put a copy of a Floyd Rose on because it was around 1985, whammy's were all the rage and I was stupid. It is one of my biggest regrets ever concerning all my musical instruments since 1970. Another regret was destroying a guitar called a Hayman 3030 and selling it for £30.

Back
Top Bottom