GPS, What else do I need?

Associate
Hello,

I currently have a "Dell Axim X51v 624MHz Pocket PC" I have a 512mb SD card also.

What other hardware and software do I need to use it as a GPS?

I'm aware that I need a bluetooth adapter, where can I get this from and how much am I looking at?
I am also led to belive I need a copy of the TomTom software, but this comes on CD and has all of Europe (I only need UK, and would prefer a download?).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You just need a GPS receiver, a bluetooth one would be neatest. Available on the bay for around £50-60.

Thats it hardware wise, then just bung a copy of tomtom5 on there, or your preferred mapping software.

Soldato
just to confirm, you just need a GPS reciever, a bluetooth one would be ideal, and some sofware.

There are a few scare stories around about which adapters tomtom5 is compatible with, so I would ensure that the bluetooth reciever you look for is compatible with the software. Tomtom's website should help...

Soldato
I have found that providing the bluetooth GPS adapter shows up as a COM port (which it 99.9% will do), then you just choose "Cable NMEA GPS" from the TomTom configuration, and point it to the right port - problem solved.

Soldato
There is a Other Bluetooth GPS option in TOMTOM5.. and that works with all the bluetooth GPS's we've tried..

One tip.. if possible, go for a STAR SIRF III chipset model.. slightly more expensive, but much faster acquiring a lock, and much better at holding onto it..

People in work have been buying the ~£45 bluetooth GPS's on ebay, and although they seem to work fine, they do keep complaining that they keep diverging into fields every now and again, I've leant them my SIRF II chipset model, and this is rock solid..

Soldato
I need to buy a bluetooth GPS receiver soon. I'm off skiing in Spain next month (and the month after that :D) and we're hiring a car to get us from Malaga to Granada so I'd prefer to be directed rather than mess around with those old paper map things.

I've already got an iPaq 4700, do I just need the bluetooth receiver and suitable software (is there an alternative to Tom Tom or is it the only one that covers Spain?)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
tomtom is the best software really and wont let you down, definately go for that.

All you need after the software is any receiver which will be compatible with your pda (bluetooth is nicest if your pda has that), and a memory card big enough to fit the spanish map :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Iain, I setup that same PDA with a BT77 reciever. It's bluetooth and the battery lasts for (apparently) up to 30 hours, it never went flat on me so I don't know exactly :). You can pick them up off the well known auction site for about £40, they also come with a car charger which is handy, as well as being able to track 16 satelites.

Soldato
I'll echo Demon's comments on the Sirf Star III chipset. I've got a BT-338 receiver and it's superb. Very quick to get a lock and holds on to it tenaciously. It will even work in the glovebox, so you don't have to balance it on the dashboard :)

Associate
[Death] said:
anyone recomend a good bluetooth gps reciever?

The Holux GPSlim 236 is probably the best for accuracy. Should be able to get it for £75. A review can be seen at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/gr236.php

I personally decided to go with the official TomTom MkII GPS receiver though for compatibility reasons. It's not quite as good as the Holux but it shouldn't be anything noticable. The only thing is you're looking at about £100 for the TomTom one so it is a bit of a raw deal.

Associate
Altered Corpse said:
The Holux GPSlim 236 is probably the best for accuracy. Should be able to get it for £75. A review can be seen at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/gr236.php

I personally decided to go with the official TomTom MkII GPS receiver though for compatibility reasons. It's not quite as good as the Holux but it shouldn't be anything noticable. The only thing is you're looking at about £100 for the TomTom one so it is a bit of a raw deal.

thanks for the info, from the review it looks ace, ill have a quick look on some certain auction site :)

Soldato
I've just found a compact flash version of that receiver
"Holux GM-270 Ultra CF GPS Receiver SiRF Star II XTRAC"

Would there be any difference between that and a bluetooth one, I'd just prefer the CF one as it's a bit neater.

Soldato
eidolon said:
I've just found a compact flash version of that receiver
"Holux GM-270 Ultra CF GPS Receiver SiRF Star II XTRAC"

Would there be any difference between that and a bluetooth one, I'd just prefer the CF one as it's a bit neater.
Yes, the CF one you mentioned is Surf Star II whilst the bluetooth one is Surf Star III, a superior chipset.

Soldato
I don't know how noticable it would be as I've not used a SS2 chipset device. The newer chipset devices tend to be more sensitive and hold a lock in more adverse conditions than do the older ones, but how often this would make a difference I don't know.

Basically, if you have the choice go with the newer chipset but otherwise I'm sure the SS2 will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom