The Windows XP x64 Edition FAQ

Soldato
In another effort to stem the influx of repeated 64bit related threads, I have compiled a FAQ from the questions asked in here. Please feel free to comment on the content, or suggest additions.

We also have a thread in the archive here, which has some great links for downloads/drivers related to x64.

What is it?
The x64 editions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are versions of the operating system that support x64 extensions to the x86 architecture. The "64-bit" designation refers to many aspects of the architecture: the width of the general purpose registers; the widest integer and logical operations supported by the processor; the size of values pushed and popped from the stack; and the width of the pointer data type, or virtual addresses.

Do I need it?
If you have to ask this question, then the answer is probably no. Specific applications that can benefit from the 64bit extensions provide a stronger appeal for those that use them. If you rely on virtualisation software, or program compilers for instance, there are applications out there which will directly benefit from a native 64bit environment - and in theory run faster.

This isn't to say that, if you dont use any of these applications, you couldn't see any benefit from the x64 editions, if you have a suitable setup. Systems with 2gb of memory plus, or SMP (multi-processor/core) systems for instance could see a noticeable benefit by running x64 - however it isn't a black and white decision. The first hurdle you need to overcome is finding drivers for all your hardware, which might not be as easy as you'd hope. Drivers for x64 are gaining in number as the weeks go by, so check out the links in our archived x64 thread to see if you can turn one up.

The other thing to consider, is that compared to the 32bit versions of Windows, x64 is very much a product in its infancy, and there is a significantly smaller amount of information available on the internet, possibly making it harder to find support if you need it. This is much more of a concern with third party applications, rather than the OS itself. If you're running some 32bit software on x64 and stumble across a bug - it's unlikely you'll get support from the developers if they dont officially support the platform.

Many people (myself included) report very few, if any problems when it comes to 32bit emulation, but it's still a chance you take.

What does it require?
A 64bit processor from AMD or Intel - These are the Athlon 64 processors from AMD, and the EM64T processors from Intel. You'll also want hardware from vendors that support the 64bit architecture.

Can I just upgrade to x64?
Unfortunately not, moving to x64 requires a fresh install. The same is true of the reverse (reverting to 32bit Windows from x64).

Can I dual boot?
You certainly can, many people go down this route first while they try all their drivers and software. General multi-boot information can be found in the sticky.

Can I run my old, 32bit programs?
x64 does indeed support 32bit software emulation, and it's very good. Rarely do people report problems running their 'old' software, and the few problems that are reported can often be solved with a quick update. There are, of course, occasional exceptions to this. It's rare, but some bits of software (often small freeware apps), or features within them, simply wont work. A good compatability guide can be found over at 3dvelocity here.

Processes running in 32bit emulation mode are highlighted in task manager by '*32' at the end of the process name.

What firewall/antivirus can I run on x64?
Both products come with Windows Firewall as standard, and it works very well, but if you need outbound program control (something which wont be apart of Windows Firewall until Vista), then you need to look at one of the
following alternatives. Credit to Xee for the info:
Xee said:
Your options for a firewall that supports Windows x64 are limited:

1) Windows XP build in firewall.
2) Ghostwall - a pure firewall, as in it only does ports.
3) Tiny Firewall 64 - not tried it but supposed to be a bit rubbish.
4) AVG Plus Firewall Edition - Anitivirus combined with firewall, supposed to application rules as well as incoming and outgoing.
5) XP firewall control - uses all the present abilities of the firewall and extends them with application level security model. (Uses the XP firewall but adds more to it).
6) NVIDIA Firewall - Only if you have a nVidia nforce motherboard.

As for antivirus, a credible free option available is Avast! - a personal favourite of mine. If you dont mind paying a little money, then NOD32 is sited on this here forum as one of the best packages available. I believe the x64 support is still in beta, however.

I cant find a driver for 'x' device, what do I do now?
Not a lot unfortunately. 64bit drivers are absolutely required running x64, and if there are none available for your hardware device, then it just cant be used. Email the manufacturer and ask the question, and check around the links in our archived threads for news from them.

Sources
Wikipedia
Microsoft.com
These hyah forums
Me.

Soldato
I have the drivers for my hardware to upgrade to W64. Most of my software will install fine (says so in the list above posted in the link)

I have a 3200+ Winchester and 1Gb RAM. Is there any worth me upgrading? I know its asked thousands of times before but the difference is i'm using the FAQ :rolleyes: :p

Thanks a lot

Soldato
I tried X64 from the download Trial on my Winchester3200 & MSI Neo2 and I found it was a hell of a lot quicker on that PC than X32.

I had one issue and thats the Modem ( BT Voyager 105 ) didnt work, and BT have no intention of ever supporting it on XP64 either, and my IDE Card ( ITE8212 ) and I have since found Drivers for that.

Anyway, I have now gone and bought XP64 and I have cobbled together a test PC purely for it, and I have to say that its no longer any quicker than XP32??

Ok, I am using a Sempron 3100 ( 64Bit one in case you are wondering ) and this might be the reason, but other than that, its fine.

Software that I use that does not run right on it, are :-

PageDeFrag
Partition Magic 8
Although to be honest PM8 does work, and it does work fine, but when it wants to shutdown and re-do anything before Windows kicks in fully, it fails to do so.
So far, I have not found a single game that wont play nicely, and even had a load of games that are DOS based and they too run just peachy.

Now, if I could find an ADSL modem ( cant be bothered with a router ) that works in XP64 I would swap over in an instant with no looking back, but if I find that the final release is slower than the Trial, I will go nuts.

All in all, in spite of what I read before, I have found that 99% of all my software runs just perfectly fine with XP64, and as I have setup a trial machine, I am throwing everythign I have into it.

Soldato
The entire Quake and Doom games all install... Even the DOS ones.

As do UnReal 1 + 2 and Unreal Tournament, UT2003 and UT2004 and so far I have not had any issues with the Extra mods & Maps etc..

Erm, COD1, CODUO and COD are all ok too!

F.E.A.R was good

What else?

HL2:s and CS:s do update, however, I had a few issues when it upped to the 64Bit source, which was thick as I had just done a frsh install, had to wait yonks for it to unlock the files, then it wanted to update to 64Bit, so I had to wait for that too! - all taking over 3 days ( Only got XP64 on my test PC so I dont use it all that long ) and then it messed summat up, forcing me to reinstall... God I hate STEAM.

Its ok now, but its taken me 5 days since starting to install, to actually being able to use it, which isnt too clever really.

Permabanned
FatRakoon said:
The entire Quake and Doom games all install... Even the DOS ones.

Well MINE didnt.

The Deice quake installer from the release cd I got almost 10 years ago doesnt load, if you have the quake collection reissue it might.

Also The doom 3 installer didnt work, neither did the RoE one, both complained about not being ran on a xp/2k system.

Everything else I tried ran fine, everything from hl2 to syndicate :).

I only went back to normal 32 bit because there was no decent way of mounting cds in x64, however I'm told the new daemon tools is x64 compatabile.

Soldato
Mounting CDS?

What Virtual CD you mean?

I have no problems with real CDs and DVDs, but Alcohol120% wont play ball... I have found Nero is ok, but I no longer have a Virtual CD in that these days, so I must be missing summat there and this means that I have not tried that, however, I am told that Virtual CD works with XP64.

In fact, the number of programs I have that dont work with XP64 are:-

PageDeFrag
&
Partition Magic 8.0

Pretty much everything else I have tried has gone on without any kind of hitch at all... I may be missing something but right now I cant think of any?

Now, on to the Partition magic thingy... It work absolutely fine, however, sometimes it wants to restart to do some tasks, and this is where it fails... For example, you can make C: bigger, but you cannot make it smaller.

You can do the same with other partitions however, if it wants to restart to shrink them, then get the PageFile off them and then it wont need to restart to do the job...

Actually, I am unsure as to how some others like Drive Image and Ghost willwork, so I will try those out later on and update you on them.

Soldato
OP
Wyvern971 said:
Maybe a link to where to get the trial version from
Linked to in the archived thread, and isnt frequently asked. In fact, I dont think anyone has asked that, as Google reveals all pretty easily.

Wyvern971 said:
What firewall/antivirus can be ran?
Yeah, that didnt really work. Changed, ta.

Back
Top Bottom