Are carbon pedals legal?

Soldato
Hey guys. Quick question was bout to buy some sparco carbon pedals but noticed it said "Not for public road use". I was wondering what the reason for that was? Is it due to lack of grip? Are all carbon pedals not allowed to be used on road?

Asim

Soldato
I thought pedals have to have some sort of rubber stuff that stops your foot slipping, if it doesnt have this then they are not road worthy. so i read somewhere

Suspended
9761 said:
I thought pedals have to have some sort of rubber stuff that stops your foot slipping, if it doesnt have this then they are not road worthy. so i read somewhere
I don't think they have to be rubber, as a lot of cars have metal pedals, but there probably has to be some sort of grip there, at least on clutch/brake.

Soldato
OP
Yea I've just read around. It seems they need rubber bits in them for grip which most have and the pedals must be 50mm apart.

Soldato
IIRC, they need either rubber bits, or grooves. Carbon ones have neither, so aren't road legal. All IIRC.

I think manufacturer fit ones are subject to different requirements too.

Soldato
OP
Pfft. Gonna have to find some carbons that have got rubber grips.

Gonna sound stupid but I'm on a weight saving cause (plus dark looks of carbon, practically black matching interior). Stripping inners of my car lol. Pedals wont be that much of a difference. But every ounce counts lol.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
panthro said:
Pug 106 gti (R reg....v long time ago) came with a metal accelerator pedal with no grip on it.

Sure it didn't just fall off? My Saxo came without a rubber cover on the accelerator but I got one from the scrappers on a 106.

asim said:
Pfft. Gonna have to find some carbons that have got rubber grips.

Gonna sound stupid but I'm on a weight saving cause (plus dark looks of carbon, practically black matching interior). Stripping inners of my car lol. Pedals wont be that much of a difference. But every ounce counts lol.

Aren't you actually adding weight by putting pedal covers on? :p

Last edited:
Associate
the sparco carbon pedals are the best things in the world, nearly. my mate had them in his mini and even when your feet are soaking wet they just gripped them maybee its something in the resin but they were better than rubber grips and they doo look good. get them i will be getting them in my mini.

Dan

Soldato
OP
GT3 said:
Aren't you actually adding weight by putting pedal covers on? :p

Ah yes lol. Atleast I got a humorous comment about this. I was thinking about this myself. And thats why I thought if I'm gonna add some might aswell be carbon.

mini dan are these the ones your talking about? Everywhere I look the seller says not road legal. They dont come with rubber grips but I assume with the way they look a set could be added.

382.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I can't help but think that they look like they stick over the top of your existing pedals. Is that right? If so, how will that save weight?

Soldato
GT3 said:
Sure it didn't just fall off? My Saxo came without a rubber cover on the accelerator but I got one from the scrappers on a 106.

My 106GTi didnt come with one either, I wasnt first owner though so it may have, never seen one a GTi with one on before though.

Soldato
OP
Mr_Sukebe said:
I can't help but think that they look like they stick over the top of your existing pedals. Is that right? If so, how will that save weight?

lol. ok taking off the existing rubber covers then drilling these in. gonna change them no matter what so fact that these are carbon and lighter than steel mean it saves something. yes probably unseen difference but they look good anyway lol.

my weight reducing quest will be going much further. jus gotta figure out how to strip everything without making the car look bare :p

edit:

found these. someone said grips only needed on brake and clutch right. sorted.

SPA3783L.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
asim said:
lol. ok taking off the existing rubber covers then drilling these in. gonna change them no matter what so fact that these are carbon and lighter than steel mean it saves something. yes probably unseen difference but they look good anyway lol.

Errr, but you're not removing steel, you're removing rubber.
Guess you can weigh the rubbers, then the carbon covers and tell us how many grams weight difference there is. Don't forget the weight of the screws.

Soldato
OP
lmao. damnit that reminds me need some decent car mags for todays dump session.

all this work into a car. better off buying one already done. Soooo who's got £300,000 I can borrow to buy a mercedes mclaren slr. Anyone? I'll pay it back I swear.

Back
Top Bottom