Event Viewer Error 51 - Source: Disk

Can't type for toffee
Don
Just crashed and Im gettin sick of this.

When its crashes I get a full blue screen with no text on it.

Just checked event viewer and theres shedloads of these, which upon looking at the times seem to be the source of the crashes.

The disc in question is a samsung spinpoint SP2504C.

Its a SATAII drive and the mobo im using is an epox EP9NPA+Ultra

Ive just had a quick look about on the samsung site and cannot for the life of me find their diagnostic tool.

Can anyone help ?

Associate
I had this. Go into device manager and in IDA/ SATA controllers disable command queuing. I have had this on two HDD one was a samsung and unchecking this box sorted it. Weird but it did and its documented throughout the net as a fix.

Soldato
I've had this too on my new 150GB Raptor - however it also intermittently spins down (sometimes on windows startup, sometimes in windows) so it's going to have to go back. :( - I think mine is actually the HDU though.

Associate
Look on the Samsung website under Utiities (right hand menu).

You want a DOS based program called HUTIL for that drive. It has a self diagnostic tool as well as other stuff.

You'll need something like a Windows 98 bootup disk to boot into DOS first before you can run the util though.

M

Soldato
Divine you had any joy yet?

I defaulted to the microsoft ide controllers and experienced my first blue screen in two months, the error message is still their, as long as a message about a lose cable, but the pc no longer freezes.

Can't type for toffee
Don
OP
Hey mate,

Yup not had any more of the error after disabling NCQ

A Quick lok into event viewer under system now shows the odd tcpip error but I think thats ncsofts error report bug as the pop3 icon shows in systray for a while once its sent a report

Soldato
I tried everything possible to fix my fault but nothing worked, my hard drive has given up all togather now, all my componunts have been sent back for testing now, but I tried everything reloaded XP 4 times and tried 2000, couldnt even get 2000 to format the disc.

Back
Top Bottom