• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opterons 165 & 170 < - Gibbo

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Why do you want them? Basically what are they and why are they good?

Secondly whats the best price you can get them elsewhere?

I shall hunt them down tomorrow and attempt to sell them from OcUK at ever lower prices. :)

Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

OMG

They are dual core opterons, you can get a 165 from 1.8 ghz to 2.6ghz and the best price I have seen is £230.

Last edited:

kbc

kbc

Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

I shall hunt them down tomorrow and attempt to sell them from OcUK at ever lower prices. :)

Those are Opteron dual cores Gibbo? ;) With the single core Opterons clocking so well and maintaining incredible stability, I'm assuming the dual cores will clock just as well, which is pretty much why there is high demand for those chips and pretty much scarce supply. The Opteron 165 has capabilities for overclocking beyond 2.2GHz. :)

The Opteron 165 is clocked at 1.8GHz whilst the 170 is at 2.0GHz and 1MB L2 Cache.

I've seen the Opteron 165 being priced at £225 at best and the Opteron 170 at about £300. And the 175 at best for £350 with a clock of 2.2GHz. (Prices include VAT)

Last edited:
Soldato
Opteron 165
£219.85inc vat

That's the best I can find. Though no one seems to have them in stock, next week looks promising. A 165 is coming my way as soon as I can find one.

Caporegime
Gibbo said:
Hi there

ROFL copter ;)

Where have you been Gibbo - avoiding the CPU forum no doubt :D - only the Opteron 165 and 170 are worth getting since they plug the lower bracket dual cores with 2MB cache overall with the 175 = X2 4400+...

Cautiously holds finger over buy button in readiness

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi there

The reason no one has them in stock is because Etailors should not be selling Opterons and AMD dislike Etailors for doing so and as such are trying to put an end to it.

I shall sort things out tomorrow and speak with AMD as they do give us special circumstances as even they don't like refusing business and a company like OcUK could sell 1000's per month due to the amount of hits our website gets daily. :)

kbc

kbc

Associate
Gibbo said:
I shall sort things out tomorrow and speak with AMD as they do give us special circumstances as even they don't like refusing business and a company like OcUK could sell 1000's per month due to the amount of hits our website gets daily. :)

... please do... :p That would be promising to see new dual core Opterons coming into OcUK, especially if they're at affordable prices. :D

Associate
I'm about to order an Opteron 144 and DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT....

AFter days and days of researching and deciding to go for it, you've all just thrown me off track again.... thanks!! ;)

Should I wait or go for the 144?

Another reason for ordering tonight is I fancy the Corsair PC4000 on today only.

Associate
There is a HUGE demand for these chips. AMDs stance on selling Opterons to home users has been a little strange to be frank. Why release them on the most popular socket for home users that AMD has if they don't want people to have them? The first i heard about their displeasure was when stocks were running low. I imagine they were getting worried that they'd lose money on lower sales of their usual, more expensive lines.
Since then i've heard that they are perfectly happy with the situation and were just finding it hard to meet demand. I guess they had a closer look at their sales figures for the last quarter and liked what they saw ;)
Many people here have bought more than one Opteron seemingly for the fun of it. People don't do that with an Fx and with an expensive processor like an Fx they'll tend to hang onto them longer.
It may have been a happy coincidence that these processors have taken off in such a big way but i doubt that AMD are suffering because of it. OCUK will be doing well if they can get some 165 Opterons in stock as they'll fly out.

Caporegime
Gibbo said:
Hi there

The reason no one has them in stock is because Etailors should not be selling Opterons and AMD dislike Etailors for doing so and as such are trying to put an end to it.

If you can get them Gibbo that would be cool - especially in more stock availability than when you first got the Single Core Opterons in - I can guarantee theyll go very fast, considering there are so difficult to find without resorting to importing...

If AMD disagree send them my way :p

ps3ud0 :cool:

kbc

kbc

Associate
AmaTeX said:
I know of a place that has 170’s and 175’s for £300 and £378 respectively, I believe they have stock of these but not the 165. ;)

LoL... is that £5 a URL? ......and I've just gone and got myself a Athlon X2 4400+, as I gave up waiting for the dual core Opterons. :) If OcUK get them in stock, I'm pretty sure by the time you decide to add one of these to your basket, they'll be all gone.

I think the 165 is pretty much the most value for money, as I believe the 175's can't clock so much just like that of the Athlon X2 4400+...

Associate
OP
Well the 165 and 170 are the best value for money.

Ive been told they dont sell them either cause demand outpaces supply by about 3to1. That in itself should show how good these are.

Ive seen the 165 get pushed upto around 2.5ghz but only has a 9x multiplier.
The 170 ive seen nearly get upto 2.8/2.9 and has a 10x multiplier.

Ive been looking for these chips everywhere and the lowest ive seen the 170 is £295inc VAT, but i only know of one site in the uk that sells them and manages to get them in stock.

These (like the opertons 144 etc) are an overclockers dream. The equivilent chip you can get for the price of a 170 is the 4400+ but only has a total of 1mb cache, where the 170 has a total of 2mb cache and can overclock to a FX60 and slightly beyond, with the right cooling.

Im quite suprised that you havent heard of these Gibbo. If you get these in it means i can pretty much buy my whole next system from OCuk directly, which will save me some cash on postage aswell :D

For all of those wondering if you should hold off, i def would. I know im not getting my system unless i can run it around a 170.

Yeah the 165 has more bang for its buck, but i do a lot of rendering and gaming so the 170 would be worth the extra cash for me.

Back
Top Bottom