A new steering wheel - oooh yes please..

Man of Honour
Anyone who's read posts from me in any threads about steering wheel controls knows that I pimp only 1....

BRD Sim pedals and wheels...

However - they've released info on the Speed7 wheel - designed to go with the Speed7 pedals that have been out for a while...

It's a beast. :D

Released March 11th....
Cost....

£950 for the basic wheel - looking at £1100ish for the one with the integrated LCD.

Images and info: http://www.teambrd.co.uk/speed7-wheel.html

Yup - I've pre-ordered one - will go nicely with my speed7 pedals *3 pedal set*

I have yet to be disapointed by any of their products ever - lets hope that it continues.

Simon/~Flibster

[edit]
All I need now is another proper gear stick control and I'll be back playing GPL witha vengence.

I broke my last one. :(
[/edit]

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty pointless for me :p Ive always been proper rubbish on racing games with wheels controling, I havnt got a clue why but they just make my driving worse lol.

Pretty nice tho

Man of Honour
OP
Farty two said:
:D COOL

thats serious money for a steering wheel i bet they rock!!

i take it you'll go to Francorchamps on 11 March with your free pass now

My first wheel and pedal set from them cost me £400 - still works flawlessly today. *has had the USB upgrade done to it though*

Got the Speed7 pedals already *3 pedal set - proper clutch* and it's great.

I don't just use it for racing games though - I use it as a teaching and training tool for myself and other people. Especially for new tracks I've not driven around.

As for Spa - may go - depends if I can get away for my Mum's birthday which is incidentally the same day...

Bugger...

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
Hi Flipster,
What driving games do you play? Been out the scene for a bit... I used to have a wheel (logitech FF) but thought it was only worth it for a few games.. mainly Grand Prix Legends where the Force Feedback and general programming and game (sim) was brilliant. Heard GT Legends , Richard Burns and GTR are good.

Man of Honour
OP
It was GPL and GP4 mainly.

Refuse to touch GT Legends and GTR as they use starforce as the protection - if I want software that will hapilly open up my system to hackers I'll plug my windows98 pc into the network...

Hoping that a stonking racing game will come out soon so I can have a bit of fun with it.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
I know I need something better than ye logitech Vibration feed back wheel I've got, but that is well !! If only I could affford to blow that o a steering wheel for my PC !! I could get a new car for that.

However it does look like top quality gear, and if I was allowed to borrow one, I wouldn't say no !!

Associate
Flibster said:
It was GPL and GP4 mainly.

Refuse to touch GT Legends and GTR as they use starforce as the protection - if I want software that will hapilly open up my system to hackers I'll plug my windows98 pc into the network...

Hoping that a stonking racing game will come out soon so I can have a bit of fun with it.

Simon/~Flibster

So you've spent about 1k on a steering wheel and your refusing to play probably the best racing game out at the moment..GT Legends.

You do know that even if Starforce does do something bad the world isn't going to come crashing down and it might actually be worth taking the risk, especially if you've got money to burn. You can just buy a new PC..

Mental.. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Behemoth said:
I know I need something better than ye logitech Vibration feed back wheel I've got, but that is well !! If only I could affford to blow that o a steering wheel for my PC !! I could get a new car for that.

However it does look like top quality gear, and if I was allowed to borrow one, I wouldn't say no !!

If you don't mind missing out on Force feedback *which tbh is only a gimmick* try some of the older wheels they do - like the Show V2 with a set of Pro Pedals - you'll only really need 2 pedals so don't bother with the clutch.

I've still got their original F1 Sim wheel here and it's as reliable and accurate as the day I bought it. *coming up to 8 years old now...*

Bolted together like a beast too.

However - Show V2 wheel + Pro = £400

But what you really - really want is one of these.. ;)
http://www.brdsim.com/product/simulators/brd-lotus-49.html
Or http://www.brdsim.com/product/simulators/brd-05-car.html

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Flibster said:
If you don't mind missing out on Force feedback *which tbh is only a gimmick* try some of the older wheels they do - like the Show V2 with a set of Pro Pedals - you'll only really need 2 pedals so don't bother with the clutch.

I've still got their original F1 Sim wheel here and it's as reliable and accurate as the day I bought it. *coming up to 8 years old now...*

Bolted together like a beast too.

However - Show V2 wheel + Pro = £400

But what you really - really want is one of these.. ;)
http://www.brdsim.com/product/simulators/brd-lotus-49.html
Or http://www.brdsim.com/product/simulators/brd-05-car.html

Simon/~Flibster

Even £400 on a wheel wold be very expensive, i realise you get what youpay for though.

Associate
i take it these wheels are nothing short of real driving minus the rain :D

i thought i payed out to much on steel battalion when it came out that was only 140

flibster are you getting the one with the lcd

Soldato
Hmmm for that money you could get a clapped out Pug205, strip it bare then rally it. Certainly more fun and brown pants material than any simulator.

But that wheel does look the business, not sure I would spend that amount of money on any controller, or one bit of PC hardware. :)

Soldato
Flibster said:
If you don't mind missing out on Force feedback *which tbh is only a gimmick*

How is it a gimmick?

when i got a force feedback wheel it helped my driving loads because you can actually feel when you start to lose the backend around a corner.

Its good for you that you got money to burn, i personally would rather buy a new PC than a £900 wheel, hope it rocks for you though.

Associate
In my opinion Force feedback is great, provided it is programmed properly. Where it is just 'thrown in' by some programmers just to 'say it is there' and turns out crap providing a hinderence to the game.
The FF in GPLegends was absolutely brilliant and made the game (sim) 10 times better.
The programmers really put some effort into it.

Man of Honour
nick_cfc said:
How is it a gimmick?

when i got a force feedback wheel it helped my driving loads because you can actually feel when you start to lose the backend around a corner.

Its good for you that you got money to burn, i personally would rather buy a new PC than a £900 wheel, hope it rocks for you though.

I think he means it's not exactly the most realistic effect compared to really driving, or something along those lines anyway. Flibster knows what he's on about :p

Man of Honour
OP
William said:
Hmmm for that money you could get a clapped out Pug205, strip it bare then rally it. Certainly more fun and brown pants material than any simulator.

VBeen there
Done That
Crashed it
Hurt me

Upgraded to a slightly bigger and hugely more expensive toy. :D

DaveyD said:
I think he means it's not exactly the most realistic effect compared to really driving, or something along those lines anyway. Flibster knows what he's on about :p

Yup.

What you feel through the wheel in a proper car is only part of the full experience

You feel what the car is going through your own movement in the car, g-forces acting on you, what you feel through your backside, through your fingertips on the wheel, through your feet on the pedals...

If I felt what you get on force feedback through a real car I'd be seriously worried...something would be extremely wrong with the car.

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom