How many of you have Auto updates turned on?

Soldato
I thought I did. Come to find out it's not been on in quite a while.......

31Mb of updates to download and install :(

Guess what my computer will be doing while I'm sleeping?

Soldato
Nah mines off, will generally navigate to the site myself if I hear of any important patches coming out. Don't want M$ just installing any old carp on my machine. All the comps on my network have it off as well, I'l just roll it out should anything important come about.

Man of Honour
There are certain cases where Auto Update doesn't work - such as when Microsoft update the Windows Update system itself. That happened around the time WGA appeared, and I've found PCs that had auto update turned on that hadn't updated in ages.

I like to know what software is being installed on my systems, so auto update is off.

Soldato
I dont personally use Auto Updates myself - no real reason really. I make sure everyone else in the family does though - saves me a lot of hassle ;)

It's pretty cool now actually. Somewhere along the line when they improved Windows Update they made it so they can automatically download and install a very critical hotfix (like that recent WMF one) and reboot the PC. Annoying for some, sure, but very handy for others at the same time.

Soldato
I have it on, but only on my laptop which I know I can rebuild at a moments notice. Lets me trial anything Microsoft want to throw out before it gets anywhere near my main rig.

Has worked great so far.

Soldato
At home, I have it set to only notify. Although it is rather silly, as I know when all the updates are released thanks to WSUS at several clients.

Still, I'm lazy.

Soldato
I now have auto update set to download but not install because Microsoft seem to think it's funny to auto install and reboot when I leave my PC at work switched on because I have 10 different things open. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Man of Honour
eidolon said:
I now have auto update set to download but not install because Microsoft seem to think it's funny to auto install and reboot when I leave my PC at work switched on because I have 10 different things open. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Same here - especially when it's been left rendering something or even unpackign a customers 8gb database from CSV to SQL DB...which takes 16 hours...

Come in the next morning "Windows update installed an update which required a restart of you computer. We've automatically done this becuase we knew it would annoy the **** of you and make you lose 12 hours work..."

Set to notify at home as well...I bring work home.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Disabled, and any services to do with auto-update are disabled. My system gets updated when it gets reinstalled, thats whenever nvidia can be bothered to release a new chipset driver :D

Conc

Back
Top Bottom