Cant share my internet connection :(

n3x

n3x

Associate
Ok im having problems here... got a home network setup with just 2 computers connected to a crappy old hub.

Im having trouble sharing my internet connection. Everything is set up as it should be sharing files works and the shared internet connection can be seen from the other pc yet when it tried to connect to the net nothing happens, i get the "page not responding."

I figured it was probly a firewall blocking it so configured it all appropriately yet still nothing... i decided to turn off the firewalls alltogether, still nothing :confused:

ive run out of ideas now, anyone else have any?

Caporegime
Need more detail, like how exactly you've set it up (especially with just a hub). Output from ipconfig /all would be a good start as well.

Soldato
Sounds like the other pc isn't set up to use the internet connection properly, may be DNS or Gateway isn't configured. What happens if you try pinging 212.58.224.115 (bbc website) from the other pc?

n3x

n3x

Associate
OP
ive had no problems sharing internet connections before, it could be that my bro has fluffed his one up which wouldnt suprise me!

Basically my pc connects to the net via a crappy bt voyager and our pc's are connected via the hub. Tried the wizard, tried setting static ips on both and dynamic on his but still the same result, can share files but wont connect to anything via the shared Bt Voyager :confused:

I've set up networks before using xp pro, server 2000/2003 and not had a problem...

I had a problem before with zonealarm not letting me share the internet even though it was configured properly, but that always worked if i turned it off but this time its a complete no go and im stumped! Might try reinstallin windows on my bros haggered old system :rolleyes:

Soldato
If both the PC’s are connected to the hub, and the hub is connected to the voyager, why are you trying to share a connection from the other PC? The router will provide details via DHCP. What OS is running on each PC? Just everything you mention feels like we stepped back 20+ years.

Back
Top Bottom