Motorola V3x

Soldato
Hello,

I'm thinking of upgrading from a D500 to a Motorola V3x. Do you think this is a significant upgrade?

I realise the V3x is 3G, so I will probably go on three's tariff to take advantage of there good contracts. I'm not too fussed about changing my number.

My concerns are over the handset. Who has had a play with both the D500 and V3x. Which is the better phone?

The V3x looks nice, it has a large screen and a 2mp camera. The Samsung isn't ugly by any stretch but I feel it's outdated now.

What's the video calling like, is it any good quality wise? Has three's coverage improved since it's poor reviews and the huuuuuuge NEC handsets?

I will be going to a high street shop to purchase my next phone so I can have a play with the handset first, but I'm just trying to narrow my options before I go. I've had a few Nokia phones so fancy a change, that's why I went for the Samsung D500 last year.

Cheers for any input.

Associate
I had a V3 and recently changed back to an n70 and to say you will need to get used to a new interface, sms messaging is rather slow and the dictionary is a little weird. I was waiting for the v3x on Orange but gave up waiting and popped for the N70 and am really happy.

Soldato
I got a V3x sent to me but, I sent it back and got the Nokia n70 instead. I can't really see anything good about the V3x, its lost all the features that made the original V3 so good.

Associate
I was considering getting this phone on 3 pretty much for the same reasons as Lead Head. cept I would like to port over my current number from T-Mobile. so just a couple of Q's
has anybody had any problems porting numbers to 3?
has their customer service improved?
Is the 'walled garden' still in effect?

cheers

Soldato
LeftfieldTilt said:
I was considering getting this phone on 3 pretty much for the same reasons as Lead Head. cept I would like to port over my current number from T-Mobile. so just a couple of Q's
has anybody had any problems porting numbers to 3?
has their customer service improved?
Is the 'walled garden' still in effect?

cheers
I ported my number and it was smooth and easy to do.
I've been with 3 since the launch. Customer services has improved but, there are times when it could get better. On the whole its better though.
Not sure what you mean by 'walled garden' I'm guessing your asking about the reception. Its improved a lot since them old NEC days. I travel a lot and use the phone on the move, The only black spots with 3 are generally where the other networks have problems too so I can't complain.

Associate
Humm should have made that bit a tad clearer,

Origonally 3 blocked net access through thier handsets so you could only go where they let you, which ment no surfing on your phone via GPRS or WAP. I have heard that this is no longer the case but I would like confirmation as this is a major factor if I buy one or not

Ta

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
LeoWyatt said:
i'll get some n70 and v3 photos done tonight so you can see what they are compared with size, i don't have access to a d500 though. However i'll see if my boss has one and grab a photo of that.

That'd be fantastic. Cheers matey.

Soldato
Sorry for the crap pics but ti's the best I could manage.
Here's my N70 and Piggy's D500 :)

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

DSC01036.jpg

Soldato
V3x is quite significantly larger than the V3/V3i, it also has plastic covers in place of the aluminium ones on the v3/v3i. If you dont have any use for 3g features then you might want to look at the V3i, same as the v3 to look at, but its had significant upgrades under the hood, and it doesnt have the terrible battery life of the v3x.

Associate
That may be, but blessed with one of the smallest keypads I've seen on a supposed "smartphone". Sausage fingers? Best stay away and stick to phones with sensible keypads like the 6680.

Back
Top Bottom