• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

512 7800 gtx

Soldato
hey sorry if this has been asked before but i had a search an found someone mention it once, but no real info

i read that the 512mb 7800 will be phased out at the end of feb, this true? i thought the card was only released in a week, so i see no point in phasing it out, after a few weeks of sales.

thx

Caporegime
Welcome to the forums. :)

I can't see them stopping all support for it, theres hardly been any released yet as its in short supply, end of this month its back in good supply, so to phase it out a month later would be madness, unless its an x800 XT PE fiasco, ATi couldn't make them so brought out the x850's which they could make, but i can't see the big Nv being in that situation, yes the G71 is coming in March (or sooner depending how well the x1900 does) but i can't see them stopping all the rest of their cards to focus on that.

Gibbo would be the one who knows, but im sure they won't stop support for it. :)

Soldato
OP
thats what i was thinking to, would be crazy to take out their top card, would be like stoping the 6800 when the 7800 out,

anyway
thx for quick reply, i think i will purchase one now, the bfg is the current fastest 512 7800 am i correct? the oc'ed one

and thx for the welcomeing :)

Caporegime
Interesting, says its straight from Nvidia to, id wait to see what Gibbo says on this, sounds a bit strange to me though, unless they are having major problems producing it just like ATi did with the x800 XT PE, anyway the 512mb GTX is still a fantastic card, and the BFG one would be a cracker, it also has a lifetime warranty. :)

Id say its just speculation, ive scoured the Nvidia website and theres no mention of phasing it out on there, and it would be some pretty important news id have thought.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi there

The next batch of GTX 512MB will no doubt be the last lot to ship from NVIDIA and approx 2000 512MB GTX cards will hit the UK in about a weeks time with 500 coming to OcUK and in March NVIDIA will either ship a second batch out or will replace it with the 7900..........

Caporegime
There you go, and this man knows what he's talking about. :)

From that id say it is the last batch, as the G71 (7900) is March by all accounts, thats a bit of a bummer, still its a cracking card that runs everything, and will do for some time to come, even after the 7900 is launched.

Last edited:
Associate
Im on back order for the 7800 GTX 512MB aswell, bit shocking about phasing it out as that means if in 6 months to a years time u wanna buy another to SLI them where u gonna buy the card? if they only ship say 6000 to the UK 2000 back in November 2000 this month and maybe 2000 in March then its gonna be a bit hard to get another to SLI :(

ahwell still be kick as graphics :D

Associate
VirusViper said:
Im on back order for the 7800 GTX 512MB aswell, bit shocking about phasing it out as that means if in 6 months to a years time u wanna buy another to SLI them where u gonna buy the card? if they only ship say 6000 to the UK 2000 back in November 2000 this month and maybe 2000 in March then its gonna be a bit hard to get another to SLI :(

ahwell still be kick as graphics :D

Argh, now I'm in the same situation as you. I'm on pre-order for the XFX 512MB 7800GTX and the plan was to buy another as soon as I have the money.

Soldato
OP
i was planin to sli them to but buy a 2nd card later this year, luckily i canceled my order, and im looking at 2 7800 GTs, as i have a £500 budget, and1 recomend the best 7800gt for £250??

many thanks

Soldato
Legless said:
Damn, just bought my 7800GTX and now there's a better card coming out in March... When will this madness end... :rolleyes:

Madness? :confused:

Computer hardware has always been this way - the pace of development is such that any top-end component will be rapidly outdated. If you absolutely *have* to always have the fastest components, you will be spending a LOT of money on a very frequent basis.

Besides, I don't see how the release of this new card affects you - your GTX won't suddenly become any slower overnight, will it?

Back
Top Bottom