OPTI 144 DFI + MUSHKIN REDLINE

Associate
hi peeps this is what i have just ordered will i be able to get a good overclock on this setup as i have never o/c an athalon/opteron 64 before

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR SKT939
hyper type R 580W PSU
Mushkin redline xp4000 mem 512 x 2
Antec Super Lanboy ATX Case With 2x120mm Fans
AMD Opteron UP 144 1.8GHz 64bit 1Mb
200Gb SATA300 Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 10
Asetek 06-L-0015 VapoChill Micro Xt extreem
LG GSA-4167SBB Silver 16x16
Sapphire X800GTO² 256mb GDDR3 PCI-E

even if i get a CABGE what can i expect for a reasonable O/C i Would be happy with 2.4-2.6 anything above this would be a bonus and where do i start i have had a peek at the dfi bios and it scared me i take its not just bumping up the fsb!! otherwise i have worked out to get a 3Ghz o/c i would need an fsb of 666/667 and even the muskin wont go much past 530/550 any hints would be appreciated

Associate
Very similar to my rig so...good choice of components!

The RAM will need to go on a divider (150 works well for me) to get the best of both the RAM and the CPU

Associate
2.4-2.6 should be in reach.I know the memory is good. to get 2.6 you'd be running at 288x9. dont know if the memory can do 288fsb so like K404 said it MAY need to go on a divider depending how it clocks. The board is VERY good for overclocking though, and unless you get a very poor opteron you should be able to make the most of it.

Associate
My 2x512 set of Redlines is good for 266mhz at 2-2-2-5 using 3.5v, the rated speeds are 250mhz 2-2-2-5 on 3.3v.

On a side note, you'll be needing to use the 4v jumper on the board, which puts extra strain on the mofsets and pwm so make sure these are actively cooled along with the ram.

Associate
Mines very similar to Kensels, tops around around 265 @3.5v. One thing to note, you will need active cooling. I have a fan on mine and at 260mhz I find within 2 mins of removing it I start getting memtest errors!

Associate
On paper everything is looking good. It might be a good idea to prepare some floppys with different BIOS revisions before you start as some will work better than others depending on your RAM etc. Also you could pop along to dfi-street.com and read up on your board and o/c results.

Good luck and i hope you get 3000Mhz and up! :D

Associate
Webzta said:
if you drop the timings a bit, you'll hit 290+ on that ram

Please can you link to evidence that CH-5 RAM clocks further with slack timings. I`ve seen no evidence of it, and i`ve also tried with my own sticks. Raw MHz wouldnt go up with slack timings, so I kept my speeds but took my timings to 1.5-2-2-0 at 264 MHz. (3.3V)

:D

K

Associate
OP
right i should have all my parts tommrow!!! can someone please give me some idea of how to set up the bios for the overclock as i have read several threads and all this talk of memory deviders ht multis etc is confusing me a tad i take it i should load windows and down load new drivers and bios before i start!! i also take it i need a specific bios for the winbond memory on my mushkin redline?? (bring back the ol up the fsb method :D )

any help is greatfully recived!!!

and yes ordered an 80mm fan for the memory and the fets (would putting extra ramsinks help cooling?? like the ones for graphic card memory the little sticky ones??)

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless your thrashing everything i doubt a specific bios will make that much of a difference.

yeah install windows and drivers. also occt/prime and superpi.

On a side note: i didnt think you could use cas1.5?

Associate
Works for me! And looks good in threads!

Also...I`d say the slacker timings and increased RAM MHz are for non CH-5 based RAM and 2GB kits, not the high voltage stuff.

The link doesnt work

Back
Top Bottom