7800GT waterblock!!

Soldato
Hi, my previous 6600GT was cooled by a Polarflo TT block and gave pretty good temps (along the lines of 39C load). I've now got my 7800 and finished a couple weeks running on stock cooling to make sure it's running fine, now i want to w/c it to shut it up, it's a non-goer to get ramsinks on with the TT so i'm wondering if it's worth getting something along the lines of the Danger Den NV78.

Is an intergrated gpu and ram cooler worth it? and does GDDR3 ram even need cooling? i've heard that it isn't really neccesary.

Soldato
I was looking into this aswell. I've heard very good things about the swiftech block on ocuk (MCW55) good price too. The dd nv78 is ridiculously expensive at most places. If you want to cool the ram aswell the Alphacool NexXxoS might be a good choice review. This link might be helpful. Comparison of lots of blocks.
Hopefully someone with experience with some of these blocks will comment

Associate
Hi there , the only experience I've had with GPU blocks is the MCW55 mentioned above , I've had it for a just over a week on my 7800GT and it works great keeping it idling at 31c and loading at 38-39c with the rest of the apex ultra kit , fitting is easy and theres room for smallish ramsinks around the block.
Hope that helps ya some. :)

Lee Mc

Edit : something I just remembered , I dunno what piping you use but the MCW55 takes 7/16 ID tubing which pushes straight into the block using a stiffening tube inside the pipe , I didnt realise this when I ordered it and the apex kit tubing is too large in diameter so you would need to order the adapters as well , I just got some copper piping off a plumber m8 which did the trick for me cos I was too eager to get it fitted and didnt wanna wait for the adapters.
If I expalined it crap just go have a look on ocuk's site at the block and you'll get what I mean :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers guys :)
I'm using 1/2" (stupid imperial measurements) tubing so i'm not sure if it'll fit the MCW55, besides if i decide to just use a gpu block i might as well use the Polarflo TT as i've had no probs with it and does the job well enough, it's just that the input and output are too low to the card so can't clear ramsinks on the top of the card, but if they don't need cooling then i won't bother :)

Looks like i'm going to stick with the TT :) i'll be replacing my tubing as the PVC stuff i have now isn't that flexible :(

Soldato
LeeMc - Just received my mcw55 and already have the apex kit (wierd eh?) but like you the tubing that came with the kit is too big. What tubing are you using? I've heard good things about MasterKleer 7/16" tubing? Would this work with the 2.120 rad, storm waterblock etc? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom