Part worn Tyres?

Caporegime
Agreed, part worns are a bad idea.

£15 for a dodgy tyre with no history (kerbing etc) against approx £30 for a new one? you'd be mad ( in my opinion as a professional driver) to go for the former. ;)

Suspended
OP
lookin for part worn ideally, if he gets a new one then he will need another new one as his back passenger one has gone, an the lack of grip one an loads of grip on the new one wudnt be right. found em on ebay for £70 a tyre brand new, will just have to grab 2 new ones

Man of Honour
gib786 said:
lookin for part worn ideally, if he gets a new one then he will need another new one as his back passenger one has gone, an the lack of grip one an loads of grip on the new one wudnt be right. found em on ebay for £70 a tyre brand new, will just have to grab 2 new ones

Yes, new tyres all the way. Part warn tyres - why? Where do they even come from, I mean do you know of anyone who changes tyres with plenty of tread left?

It's false economy.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Yes, new tyres all the way. Part warn tyres - why? Where do they even come from, I mean do you know of anyone who changes tyres with plenty of tread left?

It's false economy.

Well, I've bought seven sets of part-worns, one with every car I bought except one (the one I bought new, of course) :)

Other than that, I agree with you!

Alan Woodford

Associate
[TW]Fox said:

It's false economy.

Dont they come off cars that are written off?

Soldato
I suppose if you know where the tyres have come from then its of little consequence, but then how many people actually know well someone that holds a contract for disposing of vehicles for the police and insurance companies and also old stock from dealers?

I do, but i still wouldnt use them unless i saw the car they had come off and i was convinced that they came off as a set.

Soldato
If you were to believe the usual rumours you'd never buy second hand alloys as they're obviously all buckled to hell, and they tyres will have dangerous bulges in them.

Whenever you buy a second hand car you're getting part worn tyres on second hand alloys so what's the problem?

When I was a student I always bought part worn tyres or second hand alloys. Instead of spending £200 on new tyres I always managed to spend £200 and get a full set of new alloys with tyres. I'd then sell my existing alloys (with worn tyres) some somebody else for £100 and voila, I end up with a nice shiny set of alloys with good tyres for £100 all in. I think I had about 6 different sets of alloys on the R5 GTT and never had any problems. In my experience part worn tyres aren't ones with 3mm of tread left, they normally have a good 7-8mm on them.

Soldato
Part worns mostly come from Germany where IIRC if you change one tyre, you HAVE to change the other one on that axle.

I've had two sets, I do ask to look over the tyres before they're mounted, and have rejected the odd one before accepting. Once on the car, I've not has a problem, and £100 for 4 tyres of a decent quality is a lot better in my eyes than £120 for 4 new tyres that are so hard there is zero grip.

Soldato
I bought part worn winter tires for my TT for around £100 total. But after having a good think about it I decided its not worth the saving and just dished out the money for a full set of new tires at around £6/700 :(

Soldato
I've had plenty of part worn tyres in one way or another.

Bought the ZR - already had tyres
Bought 17" alloys - they had tyres on
Bought the VX220 - already had tyres on
Bought a second set of alloys - they had tyres on

Soldato
Muncher said:
I've had plenty of part worn tyres in one way or another.

Bought the ZR - already had tyres
Bought 17" alloys - they had tyres on
Bought the VX220 - already had tyres on
Bought a second set of alloys - they had tyres on

And I bet they've all got bulges and chunks missing from them because we all know that second hand tyres are an accident waiting to happen ;)

Soldato
eidolon said:
And I bet they've all got bulges and chunks missing from them because we all know that second hand tyres are an accident waiting to happen ;)

Yeah and my second hand brakes, steering and suspension are all accidents waiting to happen because someone else has used them before me ;)

GT3

GT3

Soldato
And as for the question of where they come from, I will shortly be selling 4x Yoko A539s with 6mm tread on in perfect condition simply because I'm getting better tyres.

Wouldn't buy part worn eagle F1's though Fox, I've heard the sidewalls are made of cheese ;)

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Infaact, anyone want some Part-worn Eagle F1's. Excellent condition, never driven hard, 6mm of tread (in the middle :p).

goodyearwear1zw.jpg

;)

Back
Top Bottom