3.2 Ghz problem?

Associate
Ok i have my cpu running at 3.2 GHz 24/7 1.59v and can play games all day with no problems thing is it fails prime after a few mins i haven't tried more voltage as i'm not to happy going over 1.6v should i be worried? or is the latest games enough to prove stability? Thanks

Associate
OP
Hmmmm!! like i say its stable enough to play games all day ie X3,Fear,BF2 to name a few and hasn't crashed, the mem passes memtest ok Thanks its good enough for me :D

Associate
If it's not entirely stable you run the risk of data corruption, if you can live with that, then stick with it as it is, If i were you, I'd make sure it's 100% stable before sticking with it.

Pcmark04 is a very good (quick) way to check stability, if you can complete that, you're stable.

Also looking at your sig, the extra 50-100 mhz which could possibly be making it not entirely stable, is no-where near worth it.

Here are some rough guidelines of what you expect to achieve w/ fx-57 and your setup.

AIRCOOLED: 3050-3150mHz

Watercooled 3150-3300mHz

VapoLS/Mach GT 3400mHz-3550mHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonhunter
What is the Max safe Vcore for an FX57 with the vapo LS? thanks

It's gonna be around 1.7v safely

Check here for more information:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82707&highlight=fx57+volts

Last edited:
Associate
Personally i think Prime and 3d/pcmark are terrible games . V. boring. Anyway, COD2 stresses my system much more than the terrible games above.

Associate
They aren't games, they're benchmark programs/stability tests.

Obviously i didn't use enough sarcasm :D

My point was it's nice to be perfectly stable in Prime but not essential. Of course to be 'accepted' as an 'authentic' clock it needs to be. I'm as much a hardware/overclocking/benchmarking addict as the next man here but i also like playing games/using my computer too!

Enjoy your rig mate. ;)

Associate
It's a problem failing prime means your cpu is'nt returning correct numbers and could cause worse fps/crashes in games.

Get it 100% stable with prime then enjoy your games.

Associate
OP
Webzta said:
They aren't games, they're benchmark programs/stability tests.
LOL ....sorry just having a bit of fun.
with it failing prime the message is the" expecting.....not equal message "now i thought that was memory related so i set my fsb to 200 and uped the multi to X16 but still failed with the same error :confused:

daz

daz

Soldato
Paa` said:
It's a problem failing prime means your cpu is'nt returning correct numbers and could cause worse fps/crashes in games.

Get it 100% stable with prime then enjoy your games.

Word - I remember trying to get this through to people running SETI@home on their overclocked PCs, who were probably returning bad work units.

Soldato
I see the seti/etc point but mine fails prime after about 5 minutes but its never crashed/frozen a game or any other process for that matter.. it also completes superpi pretty happily.

I had the same problem with a clocked p4 I ran last year.. I don't give a stuff about what prime says now, way too picky for my liking. When you can run s&m or cpu stability test (on both cores for me) for hours and they're fine and prime whimps out after 5 minutes then I think unless you need 100% perfection (in which case don't overclock) ignore it.

Associate
OP
even though mine fails prime after 2mins @3250Ghz it has run pcmark04 ok and other benchmarks such as 3dmark 05 there must be a fine line between stable and unstable if my rig runs most except prime if i drop to around 3150Ghz i can pass prime ok, but reading some posts i should be able to get 3400-3500Ghz on phase change unless i have a bad clocker which is possible!!

Soldato
A common question lots of people will tell you if it's not prime stable then it's not stable, I go along with Defcon5 and say if it's reliable for what you do and you're happy with it then it's stable. You could spend hours trying to figure out whats wrong with it and get no where!

Soldato
[Death] said:
i dont even bother using prime unless it doesent run and do what i wish, if its running games etc fine i wouldnt worry at all

Prime is about the most stressful thing, if it doesnt pass that you can expect file corruption and instability

Back
Top Bottom