• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Leadtek 7800GT Extreme problem?

Associate
Hi,
Got a new rig and once again, things are messing up on iot. Ocasional resets and crash to desktop, but the comp runs fine in windows, only crashes/resets after I start playing games. Just spent £700 on a new comp and its doing the same thing as the old one. Was I really that unluck that I got an Nvidia and an ATi (in the old machine) that had the same problem? Been sat here running prime95 in the background for about 30 mins while surfing net etc, and system is stable and tests have all passed.

Cheers,
John.

opty 148 - stock atm, till probs are sorted
leadtek 7800 gt e
corsair xms 1gb matched pair
antec true pwoer psu 450w
raptor 37.6gb hdd

could it perhaps be some kind of conflict with the drivers that windows automatically installs on first start up?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
latest drivers of the nvidia website. Nothing overclocked. Direct x 9.0c installed. I just ran 3dmark 2005 to try and make it crash but it didnt. Has sat stable in the desktop for about three hours now, bu as soon as I go into a game it crashes or resets.

Soldato
particleastro said:
kk, will do.

Updated BIOS from the abit website, played Richard Burns Rally last night for about 30 mins and didnt crash, but noiw the GFX fan wont throttle down, on 100% all the time!!

I had that 100% fan speed with my old BFG 7800gtx..The noise drove me crazy and i could not fit an aftermarket daul slot cooler on it,,so i sold the card.

You can try restalling the graphic card drivers...

Soldato
well imo

with the cpu under a full load its ok yes?

as soon as the gpu goes under load it crashes, maybe lack of power, try a different molex and make sure its just the card on that line, no linking it to hdd's ect.

make sure fast writes is turned off in your bios

does it crash straight away or play for a while then crash? < could be a heat problem

dunno about pcie but incase they do,.. is the freq of it locked to the correct amount ie 66mhz was agp

just because it runs prime np doesnt mean its stable at all, i could run prime all day with my cpu at 2.5 but as soon as i launched a game either restart or back to desktop. yes i know your not overclocking btw just a thaught

hope this helps

ohh btw try using "Expertool" to slow your gfx fan down

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK well, hereas an update...
Tried the mem in single channel mode and everything seems to work fine, including he GFX fan, bizarely. Machine resets to desktop if I run it in dual channel mode with the factory settings of 2-3-3-6, at 2t. Will try slackening off the mem timings and try again in dual channel mode, but Ive just played Prince of Persia for about an hour, and I cant notice the difference if its in single or dual channel, tbh.

Anyways, this does mean that I can get on with the whole point of the excercise and start overclocking the nuts of my opty.

Any ways to increase satbility in dual channel mode?

Cheers all,
John.

Associate
We have similar rigs so I am sure we can sort this. Which motherboard are you using? Does your psu have a dedicated power feed for your 7800 and is it properly connected? Is your ram two sticks of 512mb giving 1gb in total? What voltage are they running at?

Associate
OP
using an Abit an8-sli. Mu opty is a CACJE 148, and that sits happily under load under the Zalman cooler at 25 degrees. Ive just started to overclock the 7800gt, currently on 480 and 1101 for power 3d, all other settings are the same, and the fan goes to 70% for that, sits at 50 C for 3dmark 2005.

The volatges are as follows :
VCORE 1.4
DDR SDRAM 2.6
HT VOLTAGE 1.2
nForce 4 1.5

Bank interleaving is enabled, and HT frequency is set to auto, although Im not sure what this means.

Associate
My pc will not even boot into windows with ram at 2.6v! In bios, ram settings, enable 1t timing this maybe listed as cpc or command per clock. Ensure sticks are in correct slots for dual channel and increase ram voltage to 2.8v. I run mine at 2.8v up to 240mhz and 2.9v to reach their max speed of 250mhz at 2 3 3 6. See how this goes.

Associate
OP
omg, haha, I just set everything as low as possible so that it works, shows what I know...

Currently 11x205, need to set the RAM to DDR333, maybe after this litle piece of info things will improve...

well, booted with cl2 and ddr400 now that the ddr voltage is 2.75V. Strange thing is that every test seems stable with dual channel only when playing games does it quit to screen. Dont really want to have to play POP for an hour just to see if new settings are good. RAM is currently in single channel with 2t.

How high do you think Ill get the FSB before the ram starts to freak out?

Also, I really like the way you can set profiles for the fan speed etc for the GFS with Rivatuner, is there something like that for the AN8, so I dont have to use this external fan controller?

One last thing, just tried 210x11, booted fine and cpu temp was 38 under load. However, MBM5 shut down my pc as the PWM was at 110C! Is this for real, or a side effect of the fact that Im using the uGuru beta setup file, not an acutal AN8 file?

Last edited:
Associate
From what you say I don't think it's your ram causing the problems. It sounds as though MBM5 could be doing the same shut down when playing games in dual channel. I always overclock using the bios settings. I have never used uGuru so can't help with that. 110c sounds improbable to me. I am writing this with Cod2 running with cpu @ 2.9ghz, ram on a 166 divider at 241mhz and my pwm temp is 42c! I do have a 120mm fan blowing down over both my ram and pwm heatsinks. As to what speed your ram will get to depends on which version they are whats the exact name/part no.? You have got a power supply plugged into your card?

Back
Top Bottom