• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron Part Number Confusion

Associate
What is the difference between OSA144BNBOX and OSA144DAA5BN ?

The AMD site lets you compare these two products: the only difference shown is the Part Number. Elsewhere both are described as retail with heatsink and fan.

And while I am asking silly questions, what is the 1-way 2-way etc designation - is this referring to use in multi processor boards?

Trying to learn about Optis before I jump. Thanks.

--
Bryn

Soldato
I am not sure exactly how AMD do it, possibly by cutting bridges etc, but all Opterons are identical at the same speed ie with 1mb cache - the 1 way or two wa ( upto 8 way at the moment i bleive) is exactly right, its how many you can use on the same board.

I way will only work on their own, two way will work on their own or as a pair in the same board, etc etc

I think this is what difference you will find between the two otehrwise they are identical

Associate
OP
Thanks, that confirms what I had guessed about the n-way issue.

Any ideas about the 2 different designations for the Opi 144 ? These are both 100 series so both are 1-way.

--
Bryn

Soldato
I beleive the one ending in BOX is the retail CPU with heatsink etc whilst the other is OEM so will be CPU only, there shuld be a small amount in price difference to cover the heatsink and extra packing on the retail item.

Associate
OP
PieEater said:
I beleive the one ending in BOX is the retail CPU with heatsink etc whilst the other is OEM so will be CPU only, there shuld be a small amount in price difference to cover the heatsink and extra packing on the retail item.
Strangely enough the one *without* the BOX ending is the one on sale here at OcUK and is described as "retail" - and someone here told me that means fan and heatsink is included.

You can see why I am confused still :)

--
Bryn

Back
Top Bottom