what ram to buy for overclocking

Associate
i have posted quite a few times on this forum about my attempts to overclock my machine. i always fail miserably. the only component i have that could be causing this is my ram so i am thinking about replacing it.

before i go any further here is my spec.
===================================

Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Black UV (CA-005-HP)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ (Socket 939)(Toledo)

EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra, nForce4 Ultra,ATX Socket-939,S-ATA,GbLAN,Firewire,PCI-Ex16
-----------------------------------------------------------
1 gig of Crucial CT6464Z40B 512mb DDR 400MHz PC3200 CL=3
-----------------------------------------------------------
BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-010-BG)

Seagate 160GB 7200rpm Barracuda 7200.7 SATA

Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB SATA150 7200rpm 8mb
========================================

i am thinking of buying one or two gigs of ram. what i want to know is:

how much of a difference would low latency ram make?

i have just checked out my mobo on the epox website and i don't think it supports ddr2 but if it did would it be worth it anyway if it did???

any other advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Associate
OP
i have been reading through the forums. can i get 4400 ram to run on this mobo??

i've answered this one myself. apparently i can.

something else i do not understand. how do corsair make no ram that is above 3200 but some of the other companies make 4400

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know where ** looking mate but there are loads of Corsair memory above 3200:

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS4400C25PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.5 (TWINX1024-4400C25PT) (MY-068-CS)

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4000PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3 (MY-094-CS)

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-093-CS)

Man of Honour
DDR2 memory is not compatiable with socket 939. Have you tried tweaking the voltages and timings on your ram. My crucial value ram has default timings of 3-3-3-8 but i can get it to run at 2.5-2-2-5 at stock and 3-3-3-7 at 245mhz with 2.8v going through them. Thats memtest and prime 95 stable too.

Associate
OP
thanks for replys. afk matrix i see what you mean about the corsair memory being available above 3200. dunno how i missed this before.

Anyway, i really don't know what to buy here.

when i drop my memory speed inthe bios to 100mhz and drop my (mobo)multi down to 3, and my cpu multi down to 11 (from default 12), i cannot get my cpu to go past 220 mhz or so. now can this be caused by my ram???? i don't think it can cos i've dropped the ram speed so low it should not be holding the cpu speed back. am i right??

under the circumstances (i hope i have explained myself in an understandable way) do you think it is worth me buying low latency expensive ram to help me overclock?? or will i just be wasting money.

also, if i buy 4400 ram i gather i will need to drop my multi in order to reach its potential full speed. am i right here.

confused a bit and could do with help. like a lot!!! :confused:

Associate
OP
and another question.

see this:

geil.jpg

what do they mean all in one product. i know it runs at 3200 or 4400 but couldn't you do that with any 4400. just drop it down to 3200??

my head hurts with this.

Associate
OP
right. just found some more info in this never ending search!!

is it right that as my system is an athlon 64 setup i am better going for 3200 ram with low latency timings, and ignoring anything above 3500??

Can't type for toffee
Don
Yes you could run RAM slower than its rated.

Not realy sure about using lower FSB I needed to up my FSB to have my Opty runnin faster and have my ram @ 1:1

Yes its complicated which is why my head now hurts :p

Check the MM for RAM people are always changeing ;)

Associate
OP
Mrchu_ said:
Though shalt not covet thy neibours ram

Man i wish i had that.I reckon its gonna be the bomb!!@

well yeah it is pretty good. been doing some stuff with it and the ram has just been the icing on the cake. i've been upgrading this pc gradually for a while now and it is now a bit of a monster compared to the way it used to be.

but overclocking - no way. it does not want to run above stock at all. either that or after all the reading i've done here and elsewhere i have missed something really important about how to overclock a computer.

don't really need it overclocked but i'd like to have managed.

Associate
A correct bios update is probably in order....some one with the same board may help you find a good clocking one.

Also start your overclocking bios settings from default,in case you might have missed something obvious.It may sound silly but it helps to make sure.

Pci agp lock set properly?

Associate
OP
bios is the latest one. maybe that is a mistake? i dunno.

i have reset the settings to optimized defaults and started again lots of times, but still no joy.

pci agp lock set properly? i do not know. that is one i have not come across yet. could you tell me what you mean exactly. i am still pretty bad on the terminology.

Associate
yeah its not usually just as easy as "the latest one" but perhaps the one that works properly for ram considerations, as well as perhaps clocking potential.

For instance, my bios is 1.5 latest, but im using a tweaked one thats 1.2.The 1.5 wont even be stable for me.

So i think you need to google search your ram with the name of your mboard & the word bios,in the heading. and see what pops up.

If you have some questions from there,members may be able to nail down an answer because youre assured of playing with the right "bits" then.

Dont mean to sound patronising,but i think you need to test a few bios with your new ram thats all. :)

Associate
buachille,

Being a bit of a noob at this overclocking malarkey the Ultra X looked really good to me, but there are few references to it on the forums. Bought it anyway and it seems excellent ot me, it is working with my opty 146, 270X10 at 1:1 and 1t.

Associate
hi again this is a great place to take your time and learn the bios.

http://www.rojakpot.com/show.aspx?fileID=18

This will start to answer some of your questions on bios stuff,and create some more.
The pci agp lock must be set asyncronisly. pci at 32 agp 66(.5/67).
If not, windows can easily corrupt.But the first symptom is it wont boot.This is about the only thing that will always stay the same for stability,when you increase clock speeds.(+ the worry about windows instantly corrupting ends about there as well.)It is not always enabled in default settings.

Back
Top Bottom