Do car amps get hot?

Soldato
OP
Human Torch said:
mount it in the boot, it will be fine, dont mount it upside down tho, or past a 45deg angle if you can help it. If its small, think about an under seat installation so that its not taking up space in your boot!

I was gona mount it vertically, pressed against the back of the boot - attached via velcro straps maybe

Associate
Yes amps get hot and they do need a small amount of air space around them to convect heat away, i would seriously suggest you do not mount it using velcro, should the unthinkable happen and you have an accident it will most likely become dislodged from wherever it's mounted and you don't want a couple of kilos of metal flying about inside the car unnecessarily.

Screwed to the floor under the seats is an excellent idea and have mounted amps there myself, the only downside to that position is they may get kicked by passangers so i now mount in the boot usually attached to the back of the back seat.

Soldato
Some get so hot they can hurt when you touch them, nothing to worry about. Boot is the best place for it.

As already said, dount mount it upside down, don't put anything on top of it, etc.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
I was gona mount it vertically, pressed against the back of the boot - attached via velcro straps maybe

Mount it that way but not with velcro. Its hardly a perfomance amp that will get red hot and shouldnt be a problem like that.

Associate
cleanbluesky said:
Any reason not to mount it in the boot? Its a Blaupunkt TA280, only little... also, whats the best way to fix it

I used to have my amp velcro'd onto the top of my sub box. It was ok, it didnt get very hot even though i would crack it up to the max all the time.
The velcro stuff i got was from Homebase, really good strong stuff but damn expensive, i think it was about a tenner for 1 meter of heavy duty velcro.
However, i wouldnt bother velcro'ing it vertically to the back of your boot, i think it wont be strong enough to hold it in place.

Now my amp is mounted to the back of my rear seats. I've screwed it in place and it doesnt move at all.

Caporegime
My amp occasionally cuts out when I crank the volume up, usually when I go over 105dB it cuts out after a while, probably due to overheating as it is mounted upside down, on the bottom of my sub box :p

Back
Top Bottom