Spec me an MP3 player for under £150

Associate
I've been wanting an mp3 player for ages but there are just too many to choose from i was nearly going to buy a zen micro but ive heard bad things about the headphone jack? (How it goes quite quickly etc). Can anyone elaborate on this?

Other than that i dont mind what i get id rather steer clear of the ipod (unless theres a new updated version of the nano coming out soonish?). I want something with good sound quality and good battery life (Sound quality is more important).

I know its another one of these lame i cant make up my mind threads but i would quite like help choosing one :).

Thanks

Soldato
I was the same as you mate, looking at the zen micro until i read the problems with the headphone jack going every few months. Eventually decided on an Iriver H10, which is a lovely player with great sound quality, however the HDD went in mine, so its back to the shop on RMA at the minute, wouldnt hesitate to recommend it though.

It feels so bad only having a minidisk with 70 songs, hope i get it back quick before i go mental.

Associate
OP
Stellios said:
I was the same as you mate, looking at the zen micro until i read the problems with the headphone jack going every few months. Eventually decided on an Iriver H10, which is a lovely player with great sound quality, however the HDD went in mine, so its back to the shop on RMA at the minute, wouldnt hesitate to recommend it though.

It feels so bad only having a minidisk with 70 songs, hope i get it back quick before i go mental.

Haha im exactly the same with the whole minidisk thing. Gah I want more!

Oh and as for speccing me one size should be 2gb or bigger.

Soldato
what matter to you
looks
size of drive capacity
software

i got an archos gmini 202 xs, they can be had for about 130 quid new, they are 20gb and just plug in like a removable drive, ok they are ugly as, but they are smaller than the zen micro,

my 2 cents

Suspended
Stellios said:
I was the same as you mate, looking at the zen micro until i read the problems with the headphone jack going every few months.

my sister got her zen micro in june, socket was gone by mid december, luckily she sold it to me for £30, an i got it exchanged for a new unit for free under the warranty :d

Associate
OP
In order:

Sound Quality
Battery
Size
software (please dont suggest a sony one i have a sony net MD and sonicstage annoys me so much!).

Soldato
Sound Quality = Iriver/Sony in my opinion, although never heard an archos

Battery = They are almost all on even ground now, about 12 hours or so

Size = Ipod nano is easily the smallest, then you have the zen micro which is quite small, but pretty thick, or the Iriver H10, which is taller, but quite thin.

software = The archos shows as a drive for drag and drop, the iriver shows as an MTP device for drag and drop or sync with windows media player, the ipod uses itunes or similar.

Soldato
I just bought my Samsung YH-J70 for £152

Very fine - Drag n drop - SRS WOW - 9 band user EQ - 20gigs - 25 hour battary - plays movies and photos - Smaller than an Ipod.

Has more bass than my iRiver but a clearer sound with more bite in treble

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Mmm i dont want it to be overly large because i want to be able to go running with it. But at the same time not to small.

Oh yes im fussy :).

alx

alx

Soldato
Vegetarian said:
I just bought my Samsung YH-J70 for £152

Very fine - Drag n drop - SRS WOW - 9 band user EQ - 20gigs - 25 hour battary - plays movies and photos - Smaller than an Ipod.

Has more bass than my iRiver but a clearer sound with more bite in treble

Looks pretty good :eek: . What's the navigation like? I'm looking for a new mp3 player to replace my sony hd3 as I'm sick of the software (I use itunes to play music on my pc so want either an ipod or drag and drop player and can't decide which).

Soldato
Well its file tree based - I find it identical to my iRiver in terms of navigation. Well this has better sound than ipod for sure. Plus u get so much control with 9 band EQ and SRS WOW. Its also got a line in record too.

I will post a review up soon.

sh4rk said:
Looks pretty good :eek: . What's the navigation like? I'm looking for a new mp3 player to replace my sony hd3 as I'm sick of the software (I use itunes to play music on my pc so want either an ipod or drag and drop player and can't decide which).

Back
Top Bottom