Bike advice

Permabanned
Basically I'm looking for a new chain for my bike.

I'm looking at all these 7-speed, 8-speed, 9 speed chains, then there's Shimano, SRAM and ConneX to name but a few.

My bike isn't anything flash - rather a budget thing, but it does for me. It has twenty-one gears in total - seven at the rear, 3 at the front.

Bascially I'm assuming I need a 7-speed chain, but can I choose any that says 7-speed, or do I have to look out for anything else?

Also, any tips for installing the chain would be appreciated.

Suspended
Yeah. Sram I think it is have a quick link system. Instead of having to wip out a chain tool to put the chain on. They have a link which can come apart and then lock back together so its easy to take it on and off.

When he says new rear sprocket. Thats because if your chain is worn down that badly that it needs replacing. You should check the cogs for wear.

Permabanned
OP
Are SRAM and Shimano compatible with one-another? Ie: is one just quicker and easier to fit than the other?

I have no intentions to change the sprocket. If I have to, I'd rather buy a new bike because the current one is rather tatty.

Soldato
Most SRAM stuff has an actuation ratio of 1:1, i.e. 1cm on the shifter = 1cm of mech movement. Shimano are always 2:1

Thus, they aren't compatible. SRAM do have a line of 2:1 gear, but it's pricey.

Suspended
I'm saying you can. A chain is basicly a bloody chain!

All the same link sizes because they have to go over the same cogs. same standard size.
SRAM chains come with a power link as I said (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871). Makes ease of removal.

Shimano come with a connector pin you need a chain tool for. (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=186).

9 speed chains can be slightly thinner. Then BMX chains are stronger and wider and not normally as long.

get this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1017

Soldato
basmic said:
One more question - is there any difference between 7 or 8 speed SRAM chains?
Just the width. They will work on a 7 or 8 speed system but you want to get the widest chain possible so go for a 7 specific.

Soldato
Mulder said:
Most SRAM stuff has an actuation ratio of 1:1, i.e. 1cm on the shifter = 1cm of mech movement. Shimano are always 2:1

Thus, they aren't compatible. SRAM do have a line of 2:1 gear, but it's pricey.
Thats only for the shifters and derailleurs. The chains are compatible with Shimano and SRAM kit afaik.
basmic said:
I have no intentions to change the sprocket. If I have to, I'd rather buy a new bike because the current one is rather tatty.
The general rule is that you change your chain and cassette together, as they wear together. You get a new chain on an old sprocket, and it will skip etc, and is not advisable.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
Thats only for the shifters and derailleurs. The chains are compatible with Shimano and SRAM kit afaik.

The general rule is that you change your chain and cassette together, as they wear together. You get a new chain on an old sprocket, and it will skip etc, and is not advisable.
I can see what you're saying, but then I'd have to buy a tool to remove the cassette, also.

When I can get a cheap bike (which is all I need, really) for £90, I can't justify spending more than £30 on my current one.

Suspended
just get the chain as linked. many chains aren't different widths anyway. measured my 9 against an 8/7 and no difference but they can be.
don't make much difference.
on a cheep bike its prob not worth chaging all the cogs and sprockets, get a new chain.

if it jumps about. you will have to look into the wear that may have happened.

I used to spend £50+ on the back set of cogs etc... but now I only have one gear. go single speed! wooo

Permabanned
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
£90 isn't much for a bike, remember, you get what you pay for.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking for an excuse to get rid of the thing. Plus it's too small a frame size for me.
Rednut05 said:
just get the chain as linked. many chains aren't different widths anyway. measured my 9 against an 8/7 and no difference but they can be.
don't make much difference.
on a cheep bike its prob not worth chaging all the cogs and sprockets, get a new chain.

if it jumps about. you will have to look into the wear that may have happened.

I used to spend £50+ on the back set of cogs etc... but now I only have one gear. go single speed! wooo
It's not so much the bike jumping gears, it's more a case of needing a new chain.

Two weeks ago, I dragged the beast from the shed, and the chain was stiff and very rusty. A good oiling fixed that, but I don't want the chain to snap on me. :o

Plus the bearings (axle) where the pedal is need changing, a job I'm not up to if I told the truth.

Soldato
If it was me I would buy the cheapest chain I could find. If it doesn't work that great, i.e. you need a new rear cassette, then sell your bike for £40 or whatever and look out for a second hand bargain for £90.

Back
Top Bottom