EA Games Publishing Valve's Titles- What you think?

Soldato
I know its wrong of me to judge before anything has happened, but anyone have the feeling that something "WRONG" is about to happen with this.

Since it was announced, ive had my doubts, but cant say exactly why.

AFAIK, they have NO developing input WHATSOEVER and its purely a distribution deal, but surely EA arent going to settle for that being the money grabbing tykes they are.

I know Valve will be cautious after their fiasco with Vivendi, but anyone else smell a shafting by EA?

Caporegime
Knowing EA we are on the short slippery slope to hell - tho only if it can be prepacked; made unoriginal and 'safe'; and re-released each year with a version change :(...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Man of Honour
As long as it's only publishing, then it's fine. They may stick the prices up a little bit, but if you really hate EA that much, then you can always buy online. From what I understand, they're only a publishing partner, but I may be wrong.

Valve, specifically Gabe Newell + Co, should still have the final say in everything in the end.

Soldato
DaveyD said:
As long as it's only publishing, then it's fine. They may stick the prices up a little bit, but if you really hate EA that much, then you can always buy online. From what I understand, they're only a publishing partner, but I may be wrong.

Valve, specifically Gabe Newell + Co, should still have the final say in everything in the end.

As far as I know EA are there to replace Vivendi in publishing for the retail stores. Valve will still publish via STEAM.

Soldato
OP
Zico said:
As far as I know EA are there to replace Vivendi in publishing for the retail stores. Valve will still publish via STEAM.

Your correct, but why would Valve choose EA. Valve would have had their choice of publisher would they not?

I am sticking to steam, my only moan about it was the "Friends" issues when HL2 was released.. apart from that minor niggle, ive been very happy with it as a distribution medium.

Man of Honour
"Friends" has always been a hassle since day 1, never fully worked etc.

Xfire far better :)

I'm guessing EA probably offered valve the best financail deal, or they could distribute more copies better? Dunno.

Soldato
Gimpymoo said:
Your correct, but why would Valve choose EA. Valve would have had their choice of publisher would they not?

EA are the biggest publisher around so there must be some benefit to Valve. I would guess that EA offered some kind of financial incentive to Valve so they can get hold of AAA titles like HL2 and future HL2 related products.

Man of Honour
Well lets be honest, EA are one of few publishers who have the financial muscle to seal deals such as this. Smaller publishers will be scared off by the whole Steam thing, since Valve are pushing that so much is means significantly lower retail sales than what one might otherwise expect for AAA titles. EA have the clout to be able to advertise heavily and get casual gamers to buy, whereas smaller publishers can't.

The key here is that "hardcore" gamers will likely be comfortable buying over Steam etc, so they aren't the main target market. The main target market for a publisher of Valve products must surely be the more casual gamer, the people who are gonna walk into a store and buy the game off the shelf (new players, or youngsters without access to credit cards etc). And that's the kind of market which EA excels at selling to, with their marketing prowess.

Soldato
OP
HangTime said:
The main target market for a publisher of Valve products must surely be the more casual gamer, the people who are gonna walk into a store and buy the game off the shelf (new players, or youngsters without access to credit cards etc). And that's the kind of market which EA excels at selling to, with their marketing prowess.

Good points there.

Following on from that, is there a chance EA may ask Valve to remove the "Verify online before play" feature of the current Valve catalogue to simplify things for the "Casual" gamer?

Soldato
I think EA made a good move, getting in to make the platinum edition of hl2, *every source game* for retail, and aftermath for retail. (Handy for me, as the rents see the interweb as the devil for buying stuff off)

I personally don't mind, but if they get their hands in development I'll go cry.

Soldato
I don't think valve will let EA interfere with the development. No doubt EA will try to stick it's nose in but Valve seem to like doing things their own way and won't let others pressure them into things.

Soldato
A little annoying due to price fixing, but other than that, its just another publisher, it would be foolish to suggest any of them have any popular ethical business code about them.

Soldato
As long as they dont get a say in how its developed it shouldn't really matter who publishes the game. But if they ever do the game would most likely be ruined like most other games they get their hands on.

Back
Top Bottom