• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from x800 xtpe -> x1800 xt worth it?

Soldato
Hi there,

Thinking about purchasing 1 of the PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB cards as an upgrade to my x800 xt pe as id like to run all my games at full detail at the high resolution i use (1680x1050) which my current card cant quite hack. Is this a worthy upgrade and will i see the desired extra power im looking for? Rest of my system spec is A64 3500+, 2gb Corsair which im hoping isnt too much of a bottleneck.

Opinions?

Many thanks.

Soldato
You'll get the power you are looking for alright, but in all honestly I'd take the advice already given and wait for the X1900 and see how that performs before you make a decision, unless you simply have to make it now :p

Soldato
OP
I think the x1900 will be overkill for me, especially if its £100ish more expensive also, i imagine the x1800 will do all I need and the Powercolor card thats on special at the moment may just be slightly too tempting :D

Soldato
All things are pointing towards the X1900 range being a fair bit faster though...
Weigh up the price is how I decide, I'm still on an "old" X800 Pro because it was at a good price (cheaper new than s/hand ones are fetching now) and have no inclination yet to upgrade.

Soldato
yes. someone just told me that :p

im sort of in your boat.

got an x800gto...

im hanging on for the x1900... but that x1800xt is pretty tempting. i will wait though.

Soldato
Frank Butcher said:
Wont me 3500+ bottleneck the x1800 let alone a x1900? Damn you people dont tempt me :D I cant afford to be tempted!

Even if you find out your cpu is a bottleneck.You have that faster card seating there ready and waiting for your next cpu upgrade...

(So it be cheaper to upgrade just your cpu later on,,then it is to buy another graphics card and cpu later now.)

:( But am guessing it's going be around £100 or so more then the powercolour xt1800xt is now as well..:(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Definately worth it, the perfromance increase is incredible, i went from an x800 XT PE to the x1800 XT, stonking cards, ive got the 3500+ to, and it is a bottleneck, but you will still get incredible performance as said. :)

The x1900 is going to be around the 512mb GTX price apparently, so you could wait and see, and then decide, its only about 9 days away, thats if you can wait that long. :D

Im very hapy with my XT, im just going to wait an see what the real next gen cards produce in the summer as at the moment they are just releasing cards to get one up on each other till then imo. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom