• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclocking 7800GT, set 2D the same as 3D or not?

Soldato
I plan on trying to overclock my XFX 7800GT but I noticed that the 2D and 3D core settings are different. The 2D core is 275MHz and the 3D core is 450MHz..

Now I read somewhere that if you overclock a card and dont set the 2D core the same as the 3D core you can get some strange stuttering and such..

Is this true or am I all good to just change the 3D settings and leave 2D as it is?

Ta.

Soldato
the last nvidia card i had was a 6800ultra and i overclocked the 3d speed n left the 2d at stock speeds and didnt have any problems. Just try it, if you have problems set them both the same

Soldato
Hunders said:
Now I read somewhere that if you overclock a card and dont set the 2D core the same as the 3D core you can get some strange stuttering and such..

If that was the case...Then every card sold would stutter..

But there is a third core speed called "throttle" that may make a difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, cool.

I overclocked my 6800GT and all the clocks were the same on that by default. I didnt think it would make a difference but I just remembered reading something on here a while back where someone mentioned it caused stuttering probs..

I just overclocked the card by 20MHz on both the core and memory, so its running at 470/1090 at the moment with no probs.. I will leave it on that for a day and raise it by another 10 or 20MHz and test it for another day and carry on clocking in little stages like that...

Lets hope its a good clocker.

Cheers.

Associate
There is no need to alter the 2d settings at all, why would you need to overclock the settings you use for everyday tasks like browsing the web, typing a letter in word etc etc unless an extra 20fps in minesweeper makes any difference. ;)

Back
Top Bottom