Raptor noise!! ARRRGHH

Associate
Got a raptor the other day (36gb cos i'm tight) but what the hell is all that noise about! i can deal with it when i'm using my pc, i.e. loading a game or something but it makes two quick clicks every 2 seconds or so, while the pc is idle.

It's like chinese water torture! i know it's gonna do it, and the predictability of it sends me insane!!

And i switched to it from an ide raid0 array, which turned out was much faster :confused: so now i need another 36gb raptor :D (for raid!) Yay, Even more clicking!!

UPDATE: while i was typing this (i type slow) the clicks stopped! but i know as soon as i access something, they will be back!

Soldato
But that is the point about raptors, they are noisy in seek, but quiet idle (unless you AV is doing realtime scanning and uses them whilst you idle the PC).

TBH, the 74GB and 150GB are much quieter than the 36GB (I've ad all 3).

Soldato
Well maybe I got a good 36gb raptor ( a pretty recent purchase from new) and its absolutely perfect, was wondering before i bought it whether it would bother me and it doesnt at all, fans on gfx card are louder

Man of Honour
The first model 36gb didn't have fluid bearings on the motor, so it was very noisy. You could try putting it into an enclosure, but they are £20-30ish which I doubt you'd want to spend :)

Associate
GET A Silentmaxx Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure

ocuk sell em for 35 quid, it stops all the idle noise and muffle's most of the seek noise as well

i have 2 maxtors in my system with these and it is nearly silent :)

Back
Top Bottom