DI-624+ Wireless Networking.

Associate
I have a quick question with wireless networking, as this is my first one I have setup.

Basically, I have a DI-624+ router connected to a cable modem which currently connects via wires. I want to fit all the computers in the house with 802.11g cards.

My question is, do I have to connect one computer to the router with a cable OR will it be okay to have the cable modem connected to the router and then wirelessly to all the computers in the house? ...If you see what I mean.

Soldato
The latter should be fine, as long as you have one you can connect wired whilst you set everyone up (just in case.)
Make sure you switch encryption (preferably WPA, but WEP should be okay) and MAC filtering on for security

Associate
OP
I would prefer to connect all via wireless cards though, so will that still be possible, only connecting the modem to the router then everything else wireless?

The only reason I need to know is because I need to buy the cards and don't want to waste more money then I need to...

Soldato
Seigal12 said:
I would prefer to connect all via wireless cards though, so will that still be possible, only connecting the modem to the router then everything else wireless?

The only reason I need to know is because I need to buy the cards and don't want to waste more money then I need to...

Yup - you just need to be able, whilst setting up, to connect a wired pc to the router (just for peace of mind.)

If you are happy running with no security, then I would say you will never need to connect to your router with wires, but for setting up the security it is so much easier and less painful to have a PC initially by the router. If, whilst setting it up for security, you disable all your wireless pcs from connecting, you will be in a right pickle :eek:

Back
Top Bottom