4wd scooby? xr2 ***

Soldato
Had a nice day out at Haynes today with sw-pc, the usual scooby's and Evo's turned up but I went up with a friend in his mk2 xr2 with a engine transplant from a S2 rsturbo.

Didnt actually get a drive myself as was worried about doing damage to my friends XR2 but he got 6/7 runs in today.

The day started out very wet and we where a tad worried as the XR2(around 150bhp) was running semi slicks but even in these conditions the little old ford was around 1.5 seconds slower than the quickest scoob(1 min 10sec+ to complete laps) and faster than some other scoob+ Evo's!

Frankly we had less understeer and better corner speed than anything on the day.

This would be a good result anyway but the other cars where tuned as well with 300+bhp scoobs in the field.

Later on the track started to dry out a little and the XR2 was around 1/2 second slower than the fastest scoob which belonged to a friend,he is running around 360bhp so you can imagine how much i was winding him up that this 150hp ford was so close :D

other cars that failed to go quicker than the ford included a elise, bmw 325i and 1.9 gti stripped out 205.

pointless post but shows that 4wd is over rated even in the wet imo ;)

He is kinda thinking of selling it and I am seriously tempted, awesome car. Although no heater means winter drives = frozen legs :p

edit : Got final results in: around 1 second off fastest scoob towards end of day not half a sec like I thought it was.Pesonally I think someone has doctored the results :p

8 seconds slower on first lap out lol, he only been there in his scoob before so going back to the fezza took a bit of time to get hang of.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
will have some up soon :)

But basically its a bog standard looking XR2 with all badges etc removed in white.Also retains the standard pepperpots just to add salt to the wounds of its prey :p

Soldato
OP
old pictures but no stickers now and wheels done black. looks nice now

heres the lap times from the cars last outing at Evo meet at dunkerswell
(12th shaun m) 0-64ft - lap time

as you can see impressive machinery behind him :D
think he had a job lot on red at the time lol

xr2time.jpg

xr22.jpg

xr21.jpg

xr23.jpg

Permabanned
Re-rewind (when the crowd et cetera...) a second...I posted about an almost stock (fettled CVH, about 125bhp at the hubs if I recall correctly, with 8x13 rims and 205-section cut slicks) XR2 that was embarrasing Evos and Imprezas at track days only to be met with howls of derision.

Slightly less power than the above XR2 but lighter (just over 700Kg) and with wider rubber.

*n

Associate
Look's quite a tidy motor that & what a great performance against those Scoob's & Evo's. I'd say the semi-slicks helped considerably, once upto temperature they'd easily cut into the track, big advantage even with the horse-power defecit.

Soldato
OP
Coco said:
Look's quite a tidy motor that & what a great performance against those Scoob's & Evo's. I'd say the semi-slicks helped considerably, once upto temperature they'd easily cut into the track, big advantage even with the horse-power defecit.

True but at haynes he was on par with most the Evo and Scoobs on a very wet track while using semi slicks, track was pretty slippery :)

The above times and pictures from dunkerswell.

One thing that helped was how fast the fiesta gets out the corners, near as zero lag so it kinda catapults out of a bend.

Need to convince mate to strip the inside and ditch the sunroof etc :)

Soldato
OP
penski said:
Re-rewind (when the crowd et cetera...) a second...I posted about an almost stock (fettled CVH, about 125bhp at the hubs if I recall correctly, with 8x13 rims and 205-section cut slicks) XR2 that was embarrasing Evos and Imprezas at track days only to be met with howls of derision.

Slightly less power than the above XR2 but lighter (just over 700Kg) and with wider rubber.

*n

Missed that thread :)

700kg is very light! this one comes in at around 820kg or so I think he said

Arc

Arc

Associate
Lightish car, good tyres, decent driver, few good reasons why it would be quick just by a quick read of this thread.

You can have all the power in the world in your car but if you dont have the skill to use it then theres no point ;).

Soldato
OP
Arc said:
Lightish car, good tyres, decent driver, few good reasons why it would be quick just by a quick read of this thread.

You can have all the power in the world in your car but if you dont have the skill to use it then theres no point ;).

My friend owns the fastest scooby on the day and he is no worse a driver than my other friend in the fiesta, also the scoob had better braking than the fiesta due to the usual ford quality of brakes :D
The scoob runs low 12 sec 1/4's to and suffers from very little understeer.

obviously on a track with decent length straights things would be differant but the fact is the Ford out gripped and handled better at haynes.

all this flashy 4wd stuff was getting shown the way by the little white devil! ;)

Doubt my Evo 3 would have kept up on the day, even with slicks and a dry track.

Infact if I drove both my Evo 3 and the fiesta at haynes on a dry track both running slicks I could see me posting a faster time in the ford.

Soldato
OP
Forgot to mention on that Dunkerswell meet a plucky Evo owner came upto shaun with the fiesta and said 'well at least I aint going to be last'. shame he finised behind the ford :p

Also 'norris' = norris designs on the time sheet :)

This car has got me thinking tho, still have around 3k left to spend on my Evo 3 rs to get her at the level I was aiming for..this fiesta if it comes up for sale will be around £1500.
I could shove standard Turbo on my engine build and stock Ecu, sell for 6k or so then buy the fiesta and have lots of change!

Maybe even treat it to some lightweight seats,Ecu+map with some fordge pistons to run decent boost and still be waaaaay better off. Not to mention insurance differance.

Might miss the all out straight line performance of the Evo though which should do 9 sec 0-100 or there abouts :rolleyes:

hmmm :confused:

Soldato
OP
was thinking about that but REALLY hard to find a quality XR2 with small amounts of rust.

Me mates ones is th emost solid one I seen in years.

anyway ZVH might be a tad overkill :D

Back
Top Bottom