Sigma 18-50 does wildlife

Associate
Not the obvious choice for wildlife but if you can get close enough...

goldfinchprint2.jpg

greenfinchprint1.jpg

chaffinchprint1.jpg

bluetitprint2.jpg

The pics were taken through a window hence the slightly 'washed out' effect. What is the best way of solvng this problem?

Any comments and suggestions welcome

John

Associate
I don't know if a polariser would have helped to remove the washed out effect. If it's from reflections then it would make a difference. Otherwise reducing the brightness and upping the contrast will help.

Soldato
I had a play with it , adjusting brightness/contrast/shadow/highlight of full image . Then selected the bird , increased saturation/USM , inverted selection and removed noise from background and got this :

bird2.jpg

Still pretty washed out but I think it would print out nice :)

Soldato
whats causing the washed out look?

I had a quick play, managed to get a fairly clean image by dropping curves, tweaking the saturation and smidge of sharpening

Soldato
Joe T said:
Read the OP, he's shooting through a window!

Upping the contrast and the saturation are the simplest ways to remove most of the effect.

yeah i got the shooting through the window bit :p , i use a poloriser on glass, but it doesnt always work, so the question is what is causing the lightness

Associate
OP
looks much better mrgrubby, one of the reasons for the lightness is that the sun sines directly onto that window all day so that doesnt help. The window itself is an elderly double glazed unit with some moisture trapped between so again not very helpful. The lens used was the 18-50 F2.8 and ive found it to be very sharp.

I'll play with the levels on some of the others ive got and see what I can do.

Associate
OP
matty, the lens was right up against the glass and I live in a first floor flat so guess i'll have to rely on the wonders of post-processing.

I think this looks a bit better
bluetit2.jpg

Associate
bird.jpg

best thing in my experiance for 'glazed' or shots that are dull is black point eye dropper in curves in photoshop. then a bit of sponge tool on bird and burn slightly on the peanuts

great range of birds

Back
Top Bottom