Just got back from sealing the deal on my first car!

Caporegime
The car in question is a silver Renault Clio 1.4 RT, Saw it in autotrader and rushed down to SUtton to see it and for the money it was a steal!

Originally my budget was 3k and I wanted a Seat Ibiza but then logic kicked in and I thought "why spend so much", Here is the ad for the car:

1997 RENAULT CLIO RT 1.4 3dr Hatchback

50,000 miles, Silver, e/windows. e/sun roof, e/ mirrors, PAS, foglights. Full service history. 11 months MOT, central locking. Excellent condition. £1,500.

When we got there we found the car had a few scrapes on it and a couple of fag burns in the drivers seat but nothing major that couldn't be sorted easily, and to be expected of a car 10 years old. Took it for a test drive and wow it's so different to drive compared to my diesel ford mondeo it's untrue. Very sensitive clutch and accelerator, will take some getting used to, I felt like a new driver. :o

My dad managed to beat him down to £1'325... not bad seeing as it only has 50'000 miles on the clock! It'll need a new back light (cheap from a scrapyard) and a couple of scratches/marks to touch up but nothing major. I'll also be sticking some alloys on there as I think they'll improve the look a lot over the regular boring ones, and I need to get a decent in-car CD system too.

So gents, care to give me some reccommendations on:

a) Inexpensive yet decent looking alloys.

b) Inexpensive yet decent CD/Radio.

And lastly, I can't find many specs for the Clio 1997 1.4RT, can anyone tell me what BHP and top speed they have? :)

Caporegime
OP
Ahh cheers guys some good info and links there, thanks!

Are there any car CD players in particular you'd reccommend that look good on a budget? Will need speakers too, also on a reasonably small budget. Not looking to pump out some crazy volume/bass, just have good quality sound.

Those Ebay alloys look good but cant afford them till next month, is that average price for cheap-ish sets of alloys?

Also do you think the car was a decent buy for the money as a first car? :)

Permabanned
I would stick with some second hand OEM alloys. Your car will look boy-racerish with anything but original renualt wheels.

Caporegime
OP
saitrix said:
Whats your budget for all your audio equipment?

As low as possible really, judst the best value I can get. Good audio quality with maybe a 6 CD changer on a budget. :)

Ev0 said:
Get some phase 1 or 2 Clio 16v wheels :)

Where's the best place to get those, Ebay?

Quantic said:
Well I don't know how accurate Parkers is, but these are the prices it is indicating:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/us...46&model=710&plate=55&pay=false&buyorsell=buy

You always love your first car though. Even if you do pay over the odds for it like I did! :D

lol if you look on autotrader those parker prices are completely unrealistic, so don't think they're too accurate. :)

Permabanned
Richdog said:
lol if you look on autotrader those parker prices are completely unrealistic, so don't think they're too accurate. :)

Well, looking on Autotrader the prices for 1998 1.4 RTs are around the 1k-1,300 mark. So looks like your paying just above average price for one.

Caporegime
OP
Is this JVC autochanger good value? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...16&crumb=31371&varient=&CarSelectorCatalogId=

With these speakers? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...65-31371-38225&varient=&CarSelectorCatalogId=

Quantic said:
Well, looking on Autotrader the prices for 1998 1.4 RTs are around the 1k-1,300 mark. So looks like your paying just above average price for one.

For the specs and mileage if you consult this list mine was well priced imo... http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WW...urce=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
As low as possible really, judst the best value I can get. Good audio quality with maybe a 6 CD changer on a budget. :)

)

Don't get a 6CD Changer. Just get an mp3 capable cd player. Can throw mp3s onto a cd and play them in your car then :). Get about 10 albums or so per CD.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Congrats on the car :)
I almost got an RT when I was looking around as they had a nice load of extras for the price but in the end couldn't quite afford it so went for a RL model instead.

Caporegime
OP
saitrix said:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=4012&cadid=82c3f9f6b1bcdc166baafdf18d2347fb

Thats the HU i reccomend. Its all you need, i have a couple of CD with 160 songs on each. No need for a changer really at all.

Looks sweet, quite pricey though. What speakers would you reccommend to go with that bearing in mind a reasonably tight budget? :)

Haly said:
Congrats on the car :)
I almost got an RT when I was looking around as they had a nice load of extras for the price but in the end couldn't quite afford it so went for a RL model instead.

What's the difference between the RT and RS and what did you fork out for it? :)

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Richdog said:
What's the difference between the RT and RL and what did you fork out for it? :)
Afaik (bearing in mind I don't know much) it's just the bits of kit. My car's not got PAS, nothing's electric, no central locking. Fanciest thing it has is a sunroof and an alarm.
Also the car I got in the end was a 1.2l not 1.4l like I was looking at with the RT.

I paid £895 for it, 56k on the clock, full MOT, new timing belt and few other bits and bobs replaced on it. It's 1996 too rather than 97.
It's been good to me so far :)

Caporegime
OP
Haly said:
Afaik (bearing in mind I don't know much) it's just the bits of kit. My car's not got PAS, nothing's electric, no central locking. Fanciest thing it has is a sunroof and an alarm.
Also the car I got in the end was a 1.2l not 1.4l like I was looking at with the RT.

I paid £895 for it, 56k on the clock, full MOT, new timing belt and few other bits and bobs replaced on it. It's 1996 too rather than 97.
It's been good to me so far :)

Doees no power steering make a big difference? Never driven a car without it. :)

saitrix said:
Just how tight a budget are we talking? At least give me a range to work with.

Hmm well seeing as I dont know anything about car audio therefore what gets you good sound at the cheapest price im not sure. Just try the cheapest speakers that produce good quality sound, nothing fancy. £50 or so max but as I said, cheapest possible that provide decent/passable sound. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom