• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

leadtek 7800gt ectreme overclocking and temp

Soldato
first...what is the best way to overclock ?
tried searching and can see there's a few programs (rivatuner + coolbits, any more?) but what one is best ? I don't really wanna fry the card :D, it isn't too easy to do that, is it ?
also what is a good temperature for a vid card gpu ? mines sits about 45 idle, never looked to see what it goes up to in games etc

Soldato
I use coolbits to set the speed and it is currently sitting at 36C idle.
I removed the HSF and mem cooling and replaced the horrible thermal pads with some AS5 and its running far cooler (Std Leadtek 7800GTX with Bios flash).

Soldato
pegasus1 said:
I use coolbits to set the speed and it is currently sitting at 36C idle.
I removed the HSF and mem cooling and replaced the horrible thermal pads with some AS5 and its running far cooler (Std Leadtek 7800GTX with Bios flash).

Do you know what speeds you could overclock to before you replace the thermal pads with AS5.(stable not Max)

Soldato
chaparral said:
Do you know what speeds you could overclock to before you replace the thermal pads with AS5.(stable not Max)
To tell the truth not exactly, i used the auto detect but i think that just uses the temp of your card, anyway the auto detect gave me 470/1.27ish before but since replacing the pads the card runs a lot cooler so the auto detect has given me 483/1.31 but that is very conservative as i run it rip/tear/sparklie free at 505/1.37 and is sitting at 36C atm (webb browsing and anti virus check running and only goes up to 52C during 3Dmark2005.
I only initially replaced the pads because they looked like they had been applied by Johnny aged 5.

Soldato
"winfox" that software gave me loads of problems..Never flash your bios with that winfox software..or you get problems with sli.

Use coolbits for setting the overclock rate..

Soldato
chaparral said:
"winfox" that software gave me loads of problems..Never flash your bios with that winfox software..or you get problems with sli.
QUOTE]
I have winfox instaled allthough i use coolbits to over clock, i just use winfox to control the GPU fanspeed but its never given me a problem and ive flashed the Bios. Why do you say it will give problems in SLI once flashed?

Soldato
:eek: pegasus1 have you be able to run SLI after flashing with winfox :eek:

After flashing my two leadteks with winfox there was no more Sli tab in the display control panel to enable SLI...It just disappear....After hours of trying workout why i could not get SLI..
I searched the net and found quiet a few people that done the same thing and had the same problem...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-54060.html

Last edited:
Soldato
chaparral said:
:eek: pegasus1 have you be able to run SLI after flashing with winfox :eek:

After flashing my two leadteks with winfox there was no more Sli tab in the display control panel to enable SLI...It just disappear....After hours of trying workout why i could not get SLI..
I searched the net and found quiet a few people that done the same thing and had the same problem...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-54060.html
Still got the SLI tab, between performance and quality settings and colour correction.
Ive got the deluxe version so i set SLI with that card type thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just remember..I had the sli tab..But you could niot enable sli because it was greyed out like when having only a single card..

Am not sure by what you mean by this.

If you mean the SLI bridge that joints the two cards together at the top..That will not help if you can not enable sli in the drivers display panel..

Soldato
chaparral said:
I just remember..I had the sli tab..But you could niot enable sli because it was greyed out like when having only a single card..

Am not sure by what you mean by this.

If you mean the SLI bridge that joints the two cards together at the top..That will not help if you can not enable sli in the drivers display panel..
Now im starting to get a tiny bit worried, The SLI tab isnt greyed out and shows a screen when pressed, the screen says:

SLI Multi-GPU
Your graphics card features NVIDIA Scalable Link Interface (SLI) technology.
Add a second graphics card with SLI technology for significant improvements in rendering performance.

Does (did) yours do that?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
chaparral said:
Don't worry pegasus1

If sli don't work for you when you get a second card...All you need to do is reflash your card bios by using nvflash in dos..

And i use a program called NiBiTor to change the standard bios core/memory/fan speeds.

Take a look at this site if you have not got it bookmarked already..

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,selectcat/cat,2/
So is it the new Bios thats the root of the problem or the way its flashed? If its just the bios then i can flash it back to the original bios using the leadtek program.
Ive updated the Bios's of several asus mobos using asus update and flashed fromwithin windows and ive never had a problem, ive just made sure that i reset the mobo to defaults just before the flash, i also did this with the GFX card.

Soldato
chaparral said:
No there no fault with the new leadtek overclocked bios (450/1250)

It just don't like being flashed by winfox..
Im far from an expert in GFX bios flashing (flashed my 9800Pro to XT in Dos) but i would have thought it either worked or didnt work, i thought Bios flashing was a black or white thing. I wont be getting another card for a while so for now its not a problem, i wonder if LEadtek are aware of the problem?

Back
Top Bottom