Relationship trouble - advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Me and Leon have been together for nearly 4 years now, and everything has been great so far. I love him to bits, and we're best mates, but recently something has been worrying me. It's now got to a stage where I feel that I need some advise before it starts to go too far (if it hasn't already).

A few months ago, before Christmas, I turned up at Leon's one night to find him watching an episode of Star Trek. I laughed, and mocked him a little, but my laughter turned to shock and horror when he revealed to me that he was actually watching it by choice, and had quite a few of the Star Trek series. :(

Anyway, I let it pass and hoped that would be the end of things... but it wasn't...

Just before Christmas, I found a stack of Star Trek books and annuals in his room, including proper geeky Trekkie stuff like the Klingon Dictionary and so on. It was becoming clear to me that the man I thought I loved had a whole other side to him.

I tried to forget about it and push it to the back of my mind, but after coming back from Leon's this weekend, having found out, to my horror, that he's now bought some Star Trek models to paint/assemble, I am more distressed than ever. He even showed me the blue prints to a Klingon Bird of Prey... it's all I could do not to burst into tears or smash the computer screen up.

I have confronted him about this, and he just shrugs it off like it's NORMAL or something ( :confused: ). I am now at the end of my teather. I'm petrified that he's going to start buying me Star Trek leotard things instead of lingerie for Valentines Day etc., and telling me to "live long and prosper" instead of saying he loves me. I saw an old guy in an anorak hovering around the Star Trek box sets at the weekend, and I have visions of Leon turning into this man. My boyfriend is turning into a Trekkie, and I feel completely helpless to stop it...

WHAT SHALL I DO????? :(

Confused, Leicester

Soldato
Lostkat - I was saddened to read of Leon's downhill slide into sickness and depravity. As one whose other half is addicted to dreadful DVD viewing I fully sympathise with you. I myself went to Paul's the other day to discover his state had worsened as he had purchased the boxset of The Rockford Files. I was shocked and sickened I can tell you.

I see that you have tried talking to him and suggest you follow similar gentle tactics to try to make him see that what he is doing is just bad and wrong and help him to become the man you once knew by using all the sweet love and tenderness that we women possess.

And if that fails wire his testicles up for electric shock aversion therapy.

Hope this helps!

Man of Honour
Oooooooooo.

You may have problems Kate, other signs to look for.

- He gets a private reg ... NCC 1701.

- He paints bog roll tubes white and sticks them on the side of the car, thus recreating warp coils.

- He gets plastic surgery to get pointy ears.

- He dismisses all of your ideas as ' Illogical '

- During an argument, he squeezes your shoulder, thus rendering you unconcious.

- He speaks into his flip mobile, asking Scotty to beam him up.

- He dismisses nights of passion and bon soir, preferring to find out the name of the actor who got killed on the dreaded away mission by man eating ants !

- He gets a neon sign above his gaff saying ' Starbase 101 '

My advice is you stay with him as he is a canny lad, but you must not give in to his demands of dressing up in a short skirt and wearing ear-rings the size of Hereford like Uhura.

He has the Trekkie bug, and it is for life I have to say.

Did you flick through the Trekkie mags thoroughly ? I ask as they may have been a cunning cover for back issues of Razzle and Readers Wives !

Associate
Von Smallhausen said:
Oooooooooo.

- He paints bog roll tubes white and sticks them on the side of the car, thus recreating warp coils.

- He dismisses nights of passion and bon soir, preferring to find out the name of the actor who got killed on the dreaded away mission by man eating ants !

!

Also be worried if he buys two small round gold badges and attaches them to his collar to display his rank on the starship enterprise whilst he is down the pub

Soldato
OP
You heartless bunch of oiks, WHERE IS YOUR COMPASSION IN MY HOUR OF NEED? I am deeply distressed and in shock over this revolation, and all you can do is mock :(

Roberta said:
Lostkat - I was saddened to read of Leon's downhill slide into sickness and depravity. As one whose other half is addicted to dreadful DVD viewing I fully sympathise with you. I myself went to Paul's the other day to discover his state had worsened as he had purchased the boxset of The Rockford Files. I was shocked and sickened I can tell you.

I see that you have tried talking to him and suggest you follow similar gentle tactics to try to make him see that what he is doing is just bad and wrong and help him to become the man you once knew by using all the sweet love and tenderness that we women possess.

And if that fails wire his testicles up for electric shock aversion therapy.

Hope this helps!
AT LAST!! I knew a woman would understand. Thanks for the advice Roberta. I must put operation anti-Trek into place immediately before he starts asking me to wear prosthetic ears in the bedroom :(

Soldato
OP
Von Smallhausen said:
Oooooooooo.

My advice is you stay with him as he is a canny lad, but you must not give in to his demands of dressing up in a short skirt and wearing ear-rings the size of Hereford like Uhura.

He has the Trekkie bug, and it is for life I have to say.

Did you flick through the Trekkie mags thoroughly ? I ask as they may have been a cunning cover for back issues of Razzle and Readers Wives !
Some of the signs are already there. This is worse than I thought. I feel sick!!!

I wish his Trekkie mags were a cover for his Razzle etc. mags... they're not... those mags are in another pile :eek:

Soldato
Von Smallhausen said:

I thought that was the correct male response to most things a woman says :p

The only solution to such a terrible problem is to buy him Babylon 5 series 1-5.

Once he gets some refined sci fi down him he will stop picking up brown paper bags filled with Star Trek tat from dodgy shops, give up trying to persuade you that a tribble is a viable pet choice and admit that glueing a cornish pastie to his forehead doesn't make him look Klingon.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I don't really see the problem. So long as he doesn't start calling you Deanna or Beverly by 'mistake', the best course of action would be to embrace his new found trekkiness. See if you can join in - perhaps you could start attending conventions together... ok maybe not :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom