Two Monitors? Whats the score?

Associate
Sorry to sound like a dope, but I've seen some impressive setups in the "photo" thread concerning monitors and would like to know what are the advantages?

I do a lot of graphical work, and require to multi-task through several applications - could i work on one monitor for one app and another app on the other monitor?

Associate
yea thats generaly the case. I personaly use my monitor for web browsing and myother monitor is my DLP TV and play Hi def video on it, and occationaly brows the web from my bed.

Associate
Probably, as long as the game doesn't interfear with the other screen, but it might be an arse if you only have share the keyboard and mouse. i'm sure someone has a way round that, like using 2 keyboards and mice and making it work or somithing.

Associate
Hello everyone (my first post). I borrowed my brothers screen today and have been trying out a dual monitor setup. I must say I am impressed. It is bizarre at first, but I am already starting to see the benefits. I like it for outlook where the list of emails opens up on the right hand screen but when I click to open an email it opens in the left. Very slick. It is also a very cheap way of getting a lot of desktop space. In my test system I have 38 inches.

There are a few problems though. Firstly I am not quite sure where to sit! If I sit in the middle then I am looking right between the two screens and am always looking left or right to look at one screen entirely. Maybe I should sit face on with the left screen then glance across to the right. Also can I extend the taskbar? If you look at the picture below the task bar does not seem to stretch onto the right hand screen. Is this possible?

15tj1.jpg

I must say aesthetically two tft looks very cool.

20pm.jpg

Love that screensaver spanning over both screens.

JDL

JDL

Associate
ultramon is good, however if your using an nvidia card you can go in the settings as set the display to horizontal span (with the added option of which screen to spread from ie 1-2 or 2-1) there is also a tick box that you tick if you don't want the taskbar to spread make sure that is unticked. josba good 'un

i use dual monitors for different applications, especially helpful when say writing an assignment and your quoting from the web and you don;t want to keep minimizing as well as setting one screen up away from your desk say near your bed to watch tv, dvd - i use my wireless mouse to change menu's etc. it also means that when i'm in bed i'm away from the computer and therefore away from the noise a bit more (although with me new zalamn bits it is lovely and quiet)

Oh and welcome to the forums!!!!

Associate
I find it hard to use single monitor setups, its a pain as i always think about my duels. My 2ndary is an LCD tv which I use as a tv when just using my crt, but all video files are played on my 2ndary and I do also use it to play games as its huge. If im coding or sitting further from my desk then its great.
Even general usage it makes it much easier nad more useful, moving files from folder to folder you have 1 on each screen.

Somthing i tihnk everyone should have.

Associate
In my experience, for most types of work having two monitors is much more important, and productive than having a faster PC. Especially for graphic's stuff. You might have the tool palettes on one window and the graphic fullscreen on another. Or you might have two pictures open and cutting and pasting between the two. Really once you've tried it you find it hard to go back. Some software like ultramon is vital to get the most out of it.

Best to get two identical monitors though. Same res etc. Though if you want to work on high res on one and low res on another, for webdesign etc. then sometimes different monitors are better. TFT's are great because they take up less space, less energy and have smaller bezels so there isn't a big border in the middle.

Soldato
If you run any of your programs full screen, and in graphics software this is generally the case, then a second monitor is invaluable!

It does my nut in having to minimise Photoshop or IE when using say MSN. I used to have a dual-monitor setup but I sold one cos I was stuck for money. I used to be able to do my coursework/photoshopping/chatting/emailing/everything while watching tv or a DVD on the other.

Go get your second monitor. NOW!

SiriusB

Soldato
Multi screens are the dogs proverbial nubbins. Been using dual screens since 1999 here, and now have three of the buggers taking up the space on my desk. It's just close to impossible to go back to a single screen setup after that.

Back
Top Bottom