• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Card - Radeon or GeForce

Associate
Hi,

I am about to order a new computer and have short listed the choice of graphic cards to the following two. The cost is approximately the same.

512MB ATI Radeon X1600 Pro - TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express
256MB nVIDIA GeForce 6800XT - TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express

The PC will be an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4400+ with HT Tech, 1024MB DDR400 PC3200 memory. Uses for the PC are general tasks such as Word and Excel documents, amateur digital photographs, watching DVDs, Internet, emails and a few games such as Age of Empires 111, Civilisation V, Railroad Tycoon and Flight Simulator. The games are not played online.

I note that the Geforce is slightly more expensive (about £20) but has only half the memory, although I know there are other factors to consider such as memory speed etc.

Help in making the choice would be appreciated.

Axel

Soldato
one of the ocuk staff posted that the 512 1600 pro being listed was actually crap and just meant to catch the uneducated's eye by the fact it had 512mb of memory.
Couple that with the 1600s been a let down... go 6800xt mate.

Associate
1600XT should be better but where they are i don't know.6800XTs are pretty crap, its basically an LE so it depends on the game and if the le i mean XT unlocks

Associate
OP
Many thanks guys! Exactly what I needed as I have an "uneducated eye" and the 512MB on the Radeon looked tempting.

I will go for the GeForce!

Axel

Back
Top Bottom