shuttle sata/ide slowdown

Soldato
Just wondering if anyone else also gets ridiculously low speeds when they'v plugged in 2 SATA drives and then plug in an IDE drive to transfer their old data accross, the speed i was getting was ridiculous, the SATA drives work great(there the WD 250 SATA2 ones of some type, sadly the shuttle isnt sata2 tho :( ) but when i try to play about with my old hard-drives(also fairly fast, as IDE goes anyway) i get slow slow slow transfer speeds...
Have i just got something set silly? ill probably end up getting a usb to ide lead anyway, since my film and music folders are way too big :(

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Are the drives set up correctly in the BIOS?

Sounds like something is conflicting and that's causing the slowdown :(

Have you tried connecting this IDE drive in another machine, to test the speeds there; is that possible for you?

Soldato
OP
yea i used to use the ide drives on my shuttle until i got the satas to replace them, i think it could be conflicting IRQs, or something, i wasnt to sure if they had anything to do with the hard-disks tho, or it could be that the ide and sata share the same bus to the processor or something equally odd like that, since shuttles only have space for 2 hard-disks i cant imagine them bothering to have built the motherboards to support realistic transfer speeds for 2 Sata drives, one dvd-ram on the secondary IDE and one ide hd on the primary IDE.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yeah, I was thinking of the conflicting IRQ's..

You could go into the control panel in Windows and disable any unused channels and hopefully this will force Windows to sort out the IRQ's itself.

Failing that there's always a reformat on the cards!

Soldato
OP
na its no biggy really, i was just wondering since it was a bit annoying when i was trying to transfer my stuff over, i just left it on when i ewnt out on a boozy night instead :D
it was a fresh format on the sata drives and then i plugged the ide's in when id configured the system, then i started to copy the stuff over off the ide / sort and install but it was a pain, think ill probably get the usb to ide adapters, that way i wont have to fill up my sata drives with movies iv already watched!

Back
Top Bottom