Refereeing

Soldato
I've got a report to write this week for the ref at the weekend. Gave him a 3/10, any less than a 6/10 and you must put something in writing to the league/FA. I'm captain but wouldn't normally write the report, but as it was my action that caused him to scrap the game I said I'd write it.

I could talk all day about the horrible decision making he made, highlights include a "freekick", where our player was wiped out a good 10 yards in the box, me being repeated shoved as challenging for headers, oh but when I charge a defender down who's clearing the ball it's a freekick everytime. Thing was, he knew he was getting stuff wrong, so was making "makeup" decisions. He'd give something one way, realise it was a mistake and blow up straight away and give something the other way. Utterly spineless. We've a few young refs in our league who at least show a bit of character. Anyway, the main event...

Basically we scored from a corner and their keeper ended up in the net with it. He gave the goal and pointed to the centre circle. He was then accosted Man Utd style by their entire team and linesman (who was a coach or something, but not the manager). Having told our linesman at the start of the game he'd take his decisions on throw ins and offsides (which he often reversed anyway, never for the home team however) suddenly their linesman is qualified to overrule a decision he had made, was closest too and even initially shouted "No" to their first appeals for a foul.

I'm not 100% here, but if a ref points to the centre spot for a goal, is that the only decision he can't reverse? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere. We're all back in our half ready to restart when he tells us he's changed his mind and they take the freekick straight away. It goes out for a throw so obviously I go have a word with the ref. I was calm and polite, and didn't swear. He didn't know how to handle it at all, after being sworn at like mad just a couple of minutes ago (oh forgot, he booked one of our players for swearing in the first 10 minutes :rolleyes: ) I obviously just asked him a few questions he didn't like. The climax was something like this, "Your performance has been shocking, you've give us nowt, absolutely spineless" he then said right come here 9, and basically just shouted at me from one yard. Again calmly I asked him to stop shouting at me, not only have you been spineless you're now being unprofessional and rude. Well that was too much. He wanted to send me off, but couldn't. So he decided to scrap the game. 15 minutes to go. I then told him that he's just confirmed everything I've just said, and that I'd be putting a report in. Never shouting, never swearing.

Their manager immediately came over and sympathised, was a really top bloke. Confirmed that I should be proud of how I handled it. Honest it was a joke. I don't mind mistakes if the ref is someone you respect and has a bit of character, but here comes that word again, spineless.

Anyone written anything like this before? My dad has and he's an FA coach so will be able to provide help. Anyone confirm that rule too? Feel free to rant about refs too :(

Man of Honour
We had the best ref we've ever had this weekend. It was a breath of fresh air. We could only remember one incorrect decision he made all day, and even though it went against us we still all said how good a ref he was. I even commented about how nice it was to have a ref with a personality. They had 6 or 7 corners in a row and we had some cheeky shouts to say it was our ball and it wasn't, and he got every decision right, and when we complained he laughed - but he didn't do it in that condescending mini-hitler way refs usually do. Seriously, I couldn't believe how good he was.

Anyway, last week our ref was SHOCKING. Couldn't keep up with play (despite being stick thin and quite young) and gave them everything they shouted for. It completely ruins the game when you have a bad ref. We won 3-1 (slightly unfair on them) but it was still an awful game solely because of the ref.

Soldato
I've seen a goal disallowed before by a fourth offical once it had been given, and the ball was back in the centre ready to start again. It was disallowed for handball, iirc the play was also red carded. 2nd or 3rd division a few years ago.

Soldato
Was a bit petty for the ref to scrap the match, think it got personal mate. I haven't had any decisions like that though, haven't really complained too much as I've learnt it gets me nowhere.

Man of Honour
One ref I remember as awful was in a cup quarter final a couple of years ago. Our other keeper was injured so I was in goal, and despite the overnight downpour we were all keen to get playing. The ref checked the pitch, and said it was fine. It was a tough first half, I had to make a few smart saves to keep it level, then just before half time we had a man taken out in the box as he was clean through. Cue a sending off and a converted penalty. Half time came and we were confident of going through as we were a man up and would have been playing downhill in the 2nd half. Suddenly, for no reason whatsoever, the ref called the game off, saying the pitch was unplayable. Every single player agreed that the pitch had actually gotten better during the game, but he ignored us all and called the game off.

We lost the replay 2-0 :(

Soldato
I personally haven't had any really dodgy refs, but the amount that my brothers team has had is just stupid.

Gave a blatently offside goal against them, gave an offside when a player was a couple of yards infront of the defender, and gave an offside just after they scored. Gave absolutley zero freekicks to them, but many to the other side for stupid things, such as fair tackles, and ignored my brother getting studded in the shin despite being next to him.

I do remember an absolutley fantastic ref though, couple of years ago I played for a really rubbish team in goal (after 5 minutes it was 3-0, go figure). By half time it was around 13-0 and no-one else on our team could be bothered, leaving me to do a tonne of work. By the end of the game it was..........24-0 :o Ref came up to me and said that he thought I did very well as it looked as if my team didn't care and I was the only one putting effort it. He wrote the score down as 19-0 so that it wasn't too harsh on us. Ended up with man of the match aswell from the opposing manager (1 of 13 that season :))

Soldato
We had a decent ref yesterday for a change - he missed a couple of decisions but most he got right. The other team were trying to get freekicks left right and centre for nothing tackles and he didnt give one of them - we lost sadly though!

Soldato
Yesterday we had a great ref for the first time in blooming ages. :) I play at U17 and pretty much all the teams I play are the same; full of aggressive scum who can't play football without trying to start a fight. To make matters worse the parents of the team were just as bad as the players showing about as much maturity as children - insulting our players and the ref continously.

During the match he got every decision bang on but of course the opposition didn't see that. At one point I went for a header and their defender went up at the same time climbing all over me, we collided - his jaw and eye with my forehead - and he collapsed pretty sharpish. All their players then crowded round him complaining that I'd ELBOWED him in the face. The ref correctly gave us the freekick and told them to give it a rest.

Later in the half one of their players - the 'I'm a ghetto thug' type - got the ball and I ran from his blind side and as he opened up his body slid in and took the ball fair and square, as I was getting up the nonce stamped on me like the idiot he was just because he got tackled. The ref had no hesitation and sent him off and their entire sideline erupted as if it was the worst decision in the world. For once a ref that isn't afraid to give reds.

So many times at my level I get refs who get intimidated by the opposition and don't give red cards even if they are horrific challenges, the amount of times I've been stamped on, kicked, pushed and threatened is ridiculous. In the same game I got kicked in the back of the knee by a player off the ball just because a minute earlier I had shouldered him off the ball - it's a disgrace. Some of it is part of the game but some of it is bang out of order and bordering on assault.

One time I even got a ref that started cracking jokes in order to get laughs, the most unprofessional and stupid ref I've had. He gave a goal when the player was flagged offside and clearly about 4 metres offside. Half-way through the second-half he walked off the pitch to get a drink without informing any of the players what he was doing - the entire pitch stood still while he sat and had a drink for 5 minutes. :mad:

Soldato
OP
I'm really quite proud of this letter. It's going to the League and The F.A. We're TEAM B

Dear Sir,

I wish to bring to your attention some issues we feel must be raised with the standard of refereeing demonstrated by NAME on Saturday 14th January in the TEAM A versus TEAM B, LEAGUE Division Two game.

I really do empathise with the job a referee has to carry out. All credit must be given to them for the sacrifices they make. Having played in this league for three years now, I can only extend my satisfaction at the job they have done in that time. Unfortunately, I cannot echo these comments in relation to last Saturdays match.

Right from the kick off things started to go wrong with some odd decision making. The highlight of which was a turned down penalty appeal, which was honestly closer to the by-line than the edge of the 18 yard box. Despite this a free-kick was given, and at this point I must stress that the referee did not consult his linesman. This culminated in some bad feeling, and a TEAM B player being rightfully booked for swearing.

I could continue highlighting decisions all day long, but that is not why I felt the need to write to you. We’ve all experienced bad days in football, where nothing goes your way. You’ve got to expect them now and then. What I want to convey to you is the distinct lack of control NAME had over the game.

Whenever a decision was appealed, it was often reversed. Worse still, NAME seemed to be giving “make-up” decisions, in his mind rectifying an earlier wrong decision. Everyone makes mistakes, which are highlighted even more so on the football field, but this distinct lack of character demonstrated by NAME led to an absence of respect for a man who should be an authoritative figure.

The lack of respect TEAM A had for the referee became ever-so-apparent when TEAM B “scored” from a corner. After initially turning down appeals for a foul on the keeper, the ref pointed to the centre, signalling a goal. TEAM B retreated to their half, to witness the entire TEAM A team accost the referee, shouting, swearing and waving arms (a similar, yet lesser offence saw a TEAM B player booked within the first 10 minutes). Their linesman even felt entitled to enter the field of play.

As acting captain on the day, I told our players to stay calm and not get involved with anything that may ensue. The referee then ran back to me, saying he had reversed the decision and given a free-kick for a foul on the ‘keeper. It was clear he had been swayed by the onslaught, and the actions of the linesman, whom he had no intention of consulting for an earlier penalty shout.

TEAM A immediately took the free-kick, causing much more confusion. The ball was put out for a throw and I took this opportunity to speak to the referee, politely and calmly asking why he had been swayed on his decision. He called me over aggressively and I was basically shouted down to from a yard away, which was unprofessional and downright rude. He then informed me he was calling the game off, and blew up for full time with around 10-15 minutes left to play.

Again I do not wish to come across as simply contesting the decision; it’s all about the manner in which things were conducted. I hope you concur that there are some issues that need to be addressed here.

I feel a little of the poor showing could have been prevented by the referee instructing the linesman at the start of play. Usually they are informed what to flag for - in most cases, off-sides and ball outs – but our linesman was simply handed the flag and an empty look.

A combination of these events plus some others I’ve neglected to go into detail about (such as a 10 minute stoppage for a player who was off the field of play and already receiving medical attention) led to myself and the TEAM B management giving a rating of 3/10 for referee NAME.

I hope this letter has gone someway to justify such a poor mark. I have strived to be objective in my writing, as with any course of events opinions are open to interpretation and subjection. Should you require further clarification on anything, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours truly,

Last edited:
Soldato
I work with a Professional referee, i cant believe ive never told anybody, he curently refs in div 1, surprising some of the things he says about the game.

Worst referee i had was a guy who looked just like jesus, we were all over the other side, both in a footballing and phyiscal sense, and about midway through the first half he just seemed to decide it was a little unfair that we were so much better than them that we didnt get a decsion for almost the entire game after about 25 minutes.
I had a shot that hit a defender and took a massive deflection, and he gave a goal kick! it really was that bad.

Soldato
atpbx said:
I work with a Professional referee, i cant believe ive never told anybody, he curently refs in div 1, surprising some of the things he says about the game.

Worst referee i had was a guy who looked just like jesus, we were all over the other side, both in a footballing and phyiscal sense, and about midway through the first half he just seemed to decide it was a little unfair that we were so much better than them that we didnt get a decsion for almost the entire game after about 25 minutes.
I had a shot that hit a defender and took a massive deflection, and he gave a goal kick! it really was that bad.

The championship? If he was reffing Reading tonight tell him to start penalising blatent handballs. ;) :p

Soldato
Isn't it funny how every one of these tales of poor referees involves the storytellers team being on the wrong end of all the 'poor' decisions.

You don't hear people saying "The ref was terrible, he kept giving us freekicks for absolutely nothing"

Associate
kaiowas said:
Isn't it funny how every one of these tales of poor referees involves the storytellers team being on the wrong end of all the 'poor' decisions.

You don't hear people saying "The ref was terrible, he kept giving us freekicks for absolutely nothing"

Heheh so true. The main thing i've learnt is that the more you have a go the more it seems the ref is against you.

Soldato
Royality said:
The championship? If he was reffing Reading tonight tell him to start penalising blatent handballs. ;) :p

No division 1.

Prem
Championship
Div 1
Div 2

Ill tell you, he admits to giving decisions agaisnt teams who agrivate him, or get on his nerves.

Soldato
I think you'd have to be mad to referee a football match personally. What I witness in both the "professional" game and the amateur is just ridiculous. Regularly players treat referees with contempt that would earn them a straight 10 mins in the sin bin in a rugby match and enough penalties to take your team out of the game. Football needs a 10 yard advance rule and a sin bin like rubgy to teach players some self control from the very top to the very bottom. I get punched, trodden on, high tackled or taken out and I like most of my team mates have the self control not to blow up, it is something most footballers seem to lack. I am sure this is only because no one has tried to enforce such a culture on the game in the past though.

I'd referee a rugby game at the drop of hat but even if I was trained I would think twice about the same for football.

Associate
funniest thing i've experienced is when i went to watch our academy side play at teeside and my mate started mouthing it at the ref...

the ref gazed at him and told him if he could deal with roy keane he could deal with him...

needless to say he shut up after that... the ref was jeff winter

haha

Back
Top Bottom