• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Locked multiplyers on Athlon X2s?

Associate
ok my next system which has now been fully specked and will be purchased ass soon as i paint my radiator and finish some other decorating jobs round the house is going to be for serious overclocking and i'm wondering...

AMD now have 3 types of dual core processors the X2, the FX-70 and the opteron dual cors... now i know the single core opterons have a locked multi and that the songle core FX have a fully UNlocked multi... but what's the multi on the X2s? are they fully locked, unlocked within a range or fully unlocked cause if they're locked i'm seriously going to have to consider getting an FX-70 :confused:

Associate
Opterons and X2's are multi unlocked downwards only (i.e you can lower the multiplier but not raise it about stock level). Only the FX series were multi unlocked. I'd say FX-60 is a bit OTT for a multi-unlocked. Just raise the HTT and just lock the buses and use dividers on the memory.

EDIT: Beaten to it :(

Associate
OP
ajgoodfellow said:
It's the FX-60 :)

The Athlon X2s are multi unlocked downwards, as are the standard Athlon 64s

The Athlon FXs are fully unlocked, both up and down

oops... sorry, that's a really noob mistake to make, i'm abour 5 evolutions ahead of myself there :p

anyway, thanks dude, i'm no expert but from my understanding you useualy end up lowering the multi when overclocking anyway because of the balancing the FSB of the CPU and the Memory... or something like that

Edit:
er... are you sure the optiys arn't perminantly locked at X13? or was i not payiying attension when somone was telling me about them?

Last edited:
Associate
As the speed of the A64 / Opteron goes up, so does the multiplier. E.g 144 - 9x200 (1.8Ghz), 146 - 10x200 (2.0Ghz), 148 - 11x200 (2.2Ghz), 150 - 12x200 (2.4Ghz), etc. Same with A64 - 3000+ 9x200, 3200+ 10x200, etc...So on a 150, the multi can be set as 12 or lower, on a 146 it can be set to 10 or lower.

Back
Top Bottom