Question - HD Manufacturers Warranty

Soldato
I bought a Seagate HD about 2-3 months ago, and it's starting to report bad sectors in the last 2 weeks. I've reformatted twice, and used the Seagate Tools to repair errors on it, but it keeps happening.

I bought the drive as new off some online market place, but the seller is not responding to my emails.

It came in a sealed wrapper and everything, but there are no warranty papers included.

Question: Do new HD's have a certain period of manufacturer's warranty, under which i might be able to return it to Seagate ?

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately, the Seagate Warranty Validator online tells me the drive is OEM and thus i'll have to contact the seller.

Since i bought it off someone on the bay, i'm pretty sure he said it was "new" and the drive was sealed and packed when it arrived. However this guy who sold me is not responding to my emails, and it's 6 months ago i bought it off him.

Is there anything else i can do or try before i chuck this drive in the bin?

all help appreciated...

Soldato
Typical - the reason I make sure any drives I buy from there have warranty... Hmm... Probably a warranty replacement for his original failed drive from his OEM computer. Not much you can do I'm afraid, except sell it as faulty stating it shows up with bad blocks - better than binning :).

Soldato
OP
smids said:
Typical - the reason I make sure any drives I buy from there have warranty... Hmm... Probably a warranty replacement for his original failed drive from his OEM computer. Not much you can do I'm afraid, except sell it as faulty stating it shows up with bad blocks - better than binning :).

Yes that is what i was thinking, if he could provide me the OEM warranty then somehow i could return the drive, as it should still be under warranty (1 year).

not sure who would want to buy a drive with bad blocks though...

Soldato
Dr_Evil said:
Yes that is what i was thinking, if he could provide me the OEM warranty then somehow i could return the drive, as it should still be under warranty (1 year).

not sure who would want to buy a drive with bad blocks though...
Believe me, you can flog anything these days, and it certainly beats just chucking it now doesn't it ;).

Soldato
OP
smids said:
Believe me, you can flog anything these days, and it certainly beats just chucking it now doesn't it ;).

ok i'll have a go at it on the "5p listing day" then and see how that goes.. thnx anyway for the tips smids..

Soldato
OP
Wait a minute, wait a minute, i found out these particular drives have 5 years of manufacturers warranty, so there must be something i can do no?

i've sent off an email to Seagate warranty support stating the problem, hopefully they can help with giving me an RMA number or something...

can anyone give me some advise as to what happens with an OEM warranty if the drive is taken out of the system it's built in and sold on to someone else?

Soldato
Dr_Evil said:
Wait a minute, wait a minute, i found out these particular drives have 5 years of manufacturers warranty, so there must be something i can do no?

i've sent off an email to Seagate warranty support stating the problem, hopefully they can help with giving me an RMA number or something...

can anyone give me some advise as to what happens with an OEM warranty if the drive is taken out of the system it's built in and sold on to someone else?
They aren't covered, only the OEM supplier e.g. Dell can replace it. They don't have 5 year warranties unfortunately - annoying but true.

Soldato
ring them up and tell them your OEM went bust (I've pulled that tirck) Normally there so used to replacing the things they'll just swap it out. When I worked for the NHS we sent back a few drives that were dropped by a colleague and they were replaced despite having dents and scratches!

Soldato
OP
Nevermind, i got an email back from them saying:

--------------------------------------------------
Dear Dr. Evil,

We are seagate warranty support for end user distribution drives and generally we do not deal with component drives. In such cases customers are asked to contact their place of purchase. But since your place of purchase is not ready to help you out we will refer your case to our concerned team and see if we can accord you an exception. Kindly provide us with the serial number and the part number of your drive.
Regards

Seagate Warranty Suppport
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I provided details, after which they got in touch with me again and told me that unfortunately they couldn't help me and for this type of warranty i can only go to the supplier.

The guy i bought it from on the bay is not responding to my emails, he's selling loads of other drives though as we speak.....

I guess next time i'm buying a HD i make sure it's not OEM (read: ripped out of some system and sold separately)....

Back
Top Bottom