• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 64 3700+ San Diego or 4000+???

Soldato
Hi,

I'm going to be upgrading my agp setup to pci express around march and want to get a faster cpu to match the 7800gt ill be getting. Im wondering if its worth splashing an extra £100 out on the 4000+, is it worth the extra?.

Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB)
XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme LED Edition 256MB GDDR3
Samsung SpinPoint P HD080HJ 80GB SATA-II 8MB Cache
Pioneer DVR-110DBK 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU

this is the rig im hoping to put together if it makes any difference, id like to save a bit if i can, also feel free to make any comments on my chosen spec.

cheers

mark

Soldato
OP
thats what i thought but why is there a £100 gap?, do the 3700's overclock badly or something?, im not much of an overclocker but might want to have a dabble some day.

Mark

Klo

Klo

Soldato
As you get higher in the power, the gaps between each product increases comparitivly each time to the last increase. (If that makes sense)

Soldato
OP
exellent :) , thanks for the replys, youve saved me £100, more views welcome as itll be a month or so before i order. Also any views on the parts above or should i start a new thread for that?.

cheers

Mark

Soldato
OP
Why not clock your 3200?
Well the thing is id like to use my current pc as a backup system, ill be needing a new cpu anyway so i thought id get a more powerfull chip so theres no bottlenecks with the 7800gt ill be getting.

Mark

Soldato
Depends as to the games you play as to were the bottleneck will be, if you want to play FEAR at 1600x1200 maxed out then your 7800GT will be the bottleneck but if its RTW with massive army's then your CPU will feel the pain.

Soldato
OP
I play FEAR, FAR CRY, HL 2, Quake 4, Doom3, COD 2, ect, what i want to do is build a system that will be future proof for a while as i dont think pci express will be superseded for a good few years, i can then always upgrade to a dual core later on and get a new gfx card when mine wont cut it. At them moment I'm limited to AGP and also id just like to upgrade because this mobo has an annoying problem where it sticks at boot up then a siren sounds :mad: . Do you not think the spec I'm after is muck better than my current spec?.

Mark

Soldato
Mark A said:
I play FEAR, FAR CRY, HL 2, Quake 4, Doom3, COD 2, ect, what i want to do is build a system that will be future proof for a while as i dont think pci express will be superseded for a good few years, i can then always upgrade to a dual core later on and get a new gfx card when mine wont cut it. At them moment I'm limited to AGP and also id just like to upgrade because this mobo has an annoying problem where it sticks at boot up then a siren sounds :mad: . Do you not think the spec I'm after is muck better than my current spec?.

Mark
Get GEil Value RAM and the money saved will get you a 7800GTX which will help with FEAR far more than a higher CPU clock (the Geil value will hit highish HTT given enough volts and its cleared to 2.95V, i run mine at 2.9V and it ran prime for 8 hours before i turned it off).

Soldato
OP
Cheers, ye i have geil value in at the moment and it seems ok, so what cpu would you reccomend then along with the geil value ram and 7800gtx?, im not on a budget as such so a 3700+ is perfectly within reach if its worth the extra over another 3200 chip.

Mark

jdc

jdc

Associate
You'd get the same grunt for less £££ by going for the Epox NF4 SLI or Ultra board and an overclocked opteron 144. Use the money on a hotter graphics card. I think that would buy you better games perfomance on what you play.

Soldato
jdc said:
You'd get the same grunt for less £££ by going for the Epox NF4 SLI or Ultra board and an overclocked opteron 144. .
The problem is that you cant be certain what you are going to get out of an Opteron until you try, ive never as needmorespeed says, heard of an 3700 SD giving less than 2.4 on a std cooler.
Opty's are great but they are a bit of a lottery.

Back
Top Bottom