Router advice please

Associate
Hi

I'm going to set up a network at home. This will consist of my desktop PC which can be physically attached to a modem/router and a laptop which will have the wireless connection. This is my first attempt at this and wandered if somethiong like the Linksys WRT54GX Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX would be a good choice?

Also, is it possible to have a wireless connection on the laptop without having to switch my desktop on? I'm assuming that the Desktop PC has to be on for the wireless connections to work or is this incorrect?

Thanks for any help
S

Associate
I have the Netgear DGB834G UK modem router, with my Main pc hard wired to the router, wife's laptop conected by centrino chipset wireless connection and my media pc has a Netgear wlan usb adaptor. Both the wireless connections happily connect to the router when the main pc is turned off. The modem router stores all the settings and allows authorised connections without the need for a computer to be controlling it.
Get the GT version that supports 108Mbps, check them out at the overclockers site with this link. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Wireless_Routers.html

Had mine for a week now, absolutely rock solid bit of kit.

Rob H

Soldato
Super Tigers said:
Get the GT version that supports 108Mbps, check them out at the overclockers site with this link. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Wireless_Routers.html

Don't bother with the GT. 108Mbit wireless is a total gimmick, plus the GT (which uses totally different hardware to the DG834 & DG834G) is not known for being reliable. Have a search on these forums and you should find several posts of people complaining about theirs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the help

So basically if i already have a modem all I need is a router to add other devices wirelessly.

Basicall we've been recommended to get the linksys WAG54GX2 by some IT bloke where my wife works. I wasn't told why but maybe it's due to their adaptors in their notebooks! Mentioned something about MIMO being could for distances.

The summary of it is:

All-In-One Internet Connectivity.

ADSL 2.0 Modem function.

Router function

built-in 4-port 10/100 Ethernet Switch to attach four wired PCs directly

'Multiple In, Multiple Out' (MIMO) - for longer distances

Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA) protects your data and privacy with up to 128-bit industrial-strength encryption and 802.1x authentication and authorization.

SPI firewall to protect your PCs against intruders and most known Internet attacks, and supports VPN pass-through. Whats VPN?

Cheers
Sean

Soldato
I don't know about current versions, but the earlier WAG54's were pretty awful and best avoided.

If you're interested in MIMO, you need to look at a Netgear DG834PN, no idea what they're like though.

WPA is good, you'll want to use WPA-PSK with a nice long preshared key (that's the PSK bit) over WEP.

VPN = Virtual Private Network. If you don't know what it is, then it is probably of no interest to you. It is standard that a router will support VPN pass through.

Edit: I forgot to say that the router won't operate with your current modem, it will replace it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi

Thanks, I'm a bit worried too that it won't work with my normal ADSL connection as I've read in a couple of posts that its ADSL2 only - is that correct?

S

Soldato
mate, the router you suggested is a superb router! just do a few quick reviews on the net and its currently one of the best out there... i just ordered mine to replace my netgear one...

Itll do everything you need... do not go netgear... too unreliable and under performing in general... linksys all the way!

Soldato
bruce said:
I have a linksys router, trying to get it secured by wpa, how do i enable that?

the model is WAG354G

cheers

It should just be a case of logging into the router, going to wireless settings, turning on WPA-PSK, entering a nice long preshared key, applying the changes and then entering the same key into the wirelessly connected PC when prompted.

It'd be best to to the router change whilst connected with a cable so that you don't lose the connection after you apply.

Back
Top Bottom