• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI rendering question

Associate
hi there. i was just wondering how come sli cannot use all graphics memory when in sli, that is to say the data is replicated onto each card. thats understandable for when they render alternate frames, but what about if one was to render the top of the frame, and the other the bottom of the frame. surely they could use all the video memory then?

Soldato
don't know for sure but I owuld guess it is much slower for them to be accessing the memory on the other card accross the PCIe bus than to access there own memory which would cause some serious problems with performance.

Associate
OP
but , um why would they have to? i mean, you tell a card to render part X and the other to render part Y. its then sent to the pc or w/e, using the same amount of bandwidth as it would have in the first place. i don't see what the problem is, it looks like a con to me with this cra**y "you can only use the video memory on one card" reality

Associate
well the cards don't render equal amounts of the screen do they? They do 50% of the work (or thats the plan) but that varies on what is being displayed at the time

Presumbably this must mean some data must be duplicated

Back
Top Bottom