• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dual core wont show up in windows?

Caporegime
Just installed another dual core in my mates pc and its not showing up as dual core in windows.

Its fine in the bios

Hes coming from a opteron 146

What do I have to do to get dual core?

In cpu-z the core selection is greyed out?

Just installed the microsoft hotfix and amd driver still only one cpu in task manager.

I dont need to reinstall windows do I?

Last edited:
Associate
He might need a BIOS flash to show up both cores. XP should detect the presence of two cores and ask you to restart your computer. This is so it can load the SMP kernel module. You shouldn't need to install the hotfix for WinXP to see it (although the hotfix is needed to fix certain issues after it shows two cores).

Caporegime
OP
just done a windows repair and now the second core has appeared in windows.
However the pc takes ages to boot (the blue bar flashing across screen goes past 29 times)

then when it finally boots i got a BSOD saying driver IQ not less or equal :confused: :confused:

wtf is going on?

I never had this trouble installing mine

Soldato
You usually have to reinstall the OS as it is not just a case of detecting the extra core and away it goes. There are quite a few different files which get installed depending on whether or not it is 1 or 2 CPU's (virtual or physical). You can get away sometimes with just the ACPI change to get XP up & running but your PC will not be using XP the way it is supposed to and will probably BSOD @ some time as the HAL is only installed @ the initial setup phase.

Soldato
AWPC said:
You usually have to reinstall the OS as it is not just a case of detecting the extra core and away it goes. There are quite a few different files which get installed depending on whether or not it is 1 or 2 CPU's (virtual or physical). You can get away sometimes with just the ACPI change to get XP up & running but your PC will not be using XP the way it is supposed to and will probably BSOD @ some time as the HAL is only installed @ the initial setup phase.
No there's just one file - the HAL driver. When you boot up from plugging in the dual core CPU, Windows will detect it needs to switch to the SMP HAL and will do so. Obviously in the OP's case this has not happened because presumably his BIOS needs updating or he will need to make the HAL switch manually.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q234558

Note although the URL says it only applies to Windows 2000 it does in fact work on any Windows NT OS, including XP and 2003.

PS: There also isn't seperate HAL drivers for logical and virtual core type CPUs. These types of systems are all SMP (symmetric multiprocessing) and as such they only need to be using an appropriate SMP HAL to work. Whether you use the ACPI SMP HAL or the MPS SMP HAL is up to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom