• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any point buying a new GFX with DX10 round the corner

Soldato
Yes there is a point, if your games run too slow, then get a new card.

As for DX10, we are at least a year off many games using DX10, and they will probably look no different to DX9.

Associate
Add to that:

According to Rudolph Balaz, a Microsoft developer for Direct3D and OpenGL, DirectX 10 will only work with the new operating system [Vista]. Support for Windows XP is not planned at this time.

Soldato
oh no it will be right.

only dx10 runs with vista

and some games will need dx10 to get the best out of them....

therefore a lot of people making money..i.e. for the best game performance you will need

vista
dx10
dx10 supported gfx card

thats why i am not looking forward to vista

Soldato
Its microsoft... there will be loop holes.
But yeah... im unsure what to do; I dont want to lay out £300+ and find that my new GC cant be used properly in Vista, but then again by that time i should be in a 9/5 job so i guess the financial impact wont be massive :)

Caporegime
All recent Nvidia cards are all WGF1.0 compliant and so are certified to work with Vista, not sure of ATI ( I haven't seen them advertising the fact) but I have a hunch the X1800s are compliant (or will be when ATI make drivers that pass the certification process), but the older X800 cards probably wont be as they are missing quite a few features of WG1, i beleive VS3.0 & PS3.0 are required.

The old cards will still work, but they will be a lot more limited. One good thing about a and Dx10/Next/WG2.0 is that the requirements for DX compliance are rigid which should bring the feature set of ATI and Nvidia together better. ATI wouldn't be able to get away with its vertex shader 3.0 implementation as it is non-standard to the DX spec (maybe a reason why the X1800s haven't been branded is WGf 1.0 compliant but I doubt it). This will also tighten up image quality so Nvidias AF will look like ATis, and ATI wont be able to lower Blending quality to 16bit etc. Should be a lot fairer comparisons.

Soldato
maybe i am being over the top..

but i think it will hit "us" hard vista

like as i said before... have to buy a new gfx card to play the latest games as in dx10 supported.

and with dx10 only supported on vista we'll have to move over to vista.

but i suppose its just upgrading i guess. i mean the new amd socket will be out soon...ddr2.. so a whole new setup...just i doubt therell be any point to upgrade to that straight away... i think waiting til vista comes out then change to a whole new system as dx10 gfx cards will be out with vista.

who knows :p

Associate
OP
Well i think the best solution will be to have two computers, one to run any new software and DX10 games and an old with XP on it to do stuff that Vista may prevent. As long as they keep providing support for XP everything should be fine. Anyway how many normal peeps are going to buy Vista when it comes out. Not many. It will take years for it to become the dominant OS. They will still make games XP compatible otherwise they would be excluding 97% of the existing market. Only Geeks/Nerds who like MS products will buy it, the only other people who will get it, will be those who buy a new Dell PC (i.e. Pre-installed).

Last edited:
Soldato
exactly

all the kids that buy dells.

the nuclear families.

the pensioners.

they will all buy mass produced computers with vista on.... and us real lot will be forced and squeezed out til we buy vista.

Permabanned
i have no plans to buy vista once windows 2000 pro no longer works iam porting over to linux. i refuse to pay a stupid amount of money for vista i heard its gonna be £170 for the home version and the other version £280. another problem with vista it will no longer allow no registered drivers to work on the machine, so if you have a cheap card that hasnt got a cert from ms then it wont run no longer are we able to buy £3.99 5,1 or 6.1 cards, hardware prices will increase to pay for the certs.

Soldato
on vista you probably wont be able to do anything "unregistered" and so for all the diehard hardcore "only legit" software users then vista will be great.

but for everyone there will be a shed load of restrictions on it.

it will be a pain and a half to sort out.

also you will need a beefy computer just to run it with all its "super" gui

Associate
OP
I've no doubt that it will look the nuts, but i would rather have an OS that is great for running games. I don't want loads on useless *** using up all my resources and lowering my in-game FPS. Probably be able to disable most of the eye candy though, leaving you with little more than an expensive version of XP. Still don't whether to buy a graphics card now or wait till Vista. Think i'm gonna see what happens first.

Back
Top Bottom