First Car Help

Soldato
Hi guys,

After passing am looking for a car. Max budget £1000. Cheaper the better.

Basically looking for something cheap to ensure, quick, good looking and cheap to run.

Been looking at Saxos, and Puntos.

Any recommendations?

Soldato
You'll get more for your money by going for a higher class of car - small things like Saxo's are seen as "ideal first time cars" because they're perceived as being as small as a packet of crisps, compared to higher classes of cars such as 306/Xsara, and even higher classes of cars such as the Mondeo, which comparatively are "as huge as an ocean-going cruise liner".

Citroen Xsara? Basically a Peugeot 306 with a different body and badge.
Ford Mondeo (yeah, I know)/Citroen Xantia, but lots of space/comfort/safety, with a low price tag because they don't command the premium smaller cars do. At least check out insurance for something like a Mondeo before dismissing something this size ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Check out the sticky - there's links to lots of insurance sites, give them all a try and you're sure to find some reasonable quotes.

As for insurance costs, it all depends. However you may be surprised, insuring a Mondeo could work out not too much more than a Saxo, as not many young people will typically be driving a Mondeo compared to a Saxo - with lower payouts to youngster's driving Mondeos than youngsters driving Saxos the risk to them won't necessarily be as high ;)

Soldato
hogfather said:
you can get a quote off any insurance site :)

Just make up a registration date - around when the car you're after was made, and dont enter a numberplate.
Or browse through AutoTrader for the car you're looking for and enter the numberplate shown in the pictures ;)

Soldato
Don't bother with Confused.com

Instead, it is better to go out into the street, ask 50 people to write down a name of an insurance company, and a random price, stick them all in a hat, and pull some out.

Go to the insurance companies directly.

Man of Honour
ConfusedTA said:
Don't bother with Confused.com

Instead, it is better to go out into the street, ask 50 people to write down a name of an insurance company, and a random price, stick them all in a hat, and pull some out

Hey, thats my line! :p

Soldato
Sorry Fox, I seem to be using all your lines today ;)

triggerthat - give the Admiral group (Admiral, Elephant, Diamond, Bell Direct) a try, and try adding an older female with no accidents/claims (mum for example) as a 2nd driver.

However what is a cheap insurance company for you might be expensive for me, and vice versa, so the only way to know is to try all of them.

Back
Top Bottom