Learing to play the guitar...

Soldato
..been thinking of buy a guitar, must be quite a few on here who play could anyone recommend a good starter guitar? Also can you teach yourself how to play or would it be to difficult?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
It depends what you want really. The Yamaha pacifica 112 is very nice, I went for a Yamaha RGX (can't remember exact model) for mine, it's more of a rocky guitar, two humbuckers for the win :D.

Soldato
Yeah the Yamaha Pacifica 112 is a good guitar.

I'd suggest going to a good teacher for a few lessons first so they put you on the right track in terms of techniques. If you teach yourself it can work good and bad, you can end up making it harder for yourself in the end.

Man of Honour
Ibanez RG Starter Guitar

I got this last xmas, VERY fun and easy to play hence have taught myself. Excellent value for money - but from a reputable manufacturer so you KNOW it'll be good quality (None of this Squire or Encore tosh).

It has two humbuckers and a single coil for a less graunchy sound.
Best thing about it is it doesn't look like the standard Strat that has got FAR too old FAR too quickly. IMO it helps to have a decent looking guitar as no one wants to play with a donkey :D (No offense strat lovers, but it is just a little too common now)

Any RG series is great, just have a gander round that site.

Permabanned
A lot of the time you will be recommended cheap guitar/amp combo's, but IMO you are better getting a cheap battered up accoustic to learn the basics and see if you will end up taking it up. Then if you decide later that you definately want to go for it, get a decent electric and amp for a bit more money, you'll appriciate it more :D

Soldato
personally i think you should start off on an acoustic.

learn all the basics.. and in 6month get an electric.. cheapo... and you will sounds pretty good on the electric.

acoustic harder to play.. therefore when it comes to electric it will feel easy.

thats just how i did it cos i was made to :p but each to their own... but it did work

Soldato
IceBus said:

+1 nuff said :D

Zefan said:
Any RG series is great, just have a gander round that site.

i beg to differ ;) oh, and dont buy from that website, they are hideously overpriced, trying to charge over £1000 for some guitar that are barely worth £800. and i'm not just saying that either, they are my local guitar shop, whilst they do have hundreds of guitars in stock and are willing to help, they are overpriced!

i recommend getting a few lessons to start out, start you on your feet etc. give you the right techniques. then either keep on with the lessons if you like that style of learning. or head off in your own direction.

i headed off in my own direction, now i'm after getting some lessons again!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
SidewinderINC said:
hideously overpriced, trying to charge over £1000 for some guitar that are barely worth £800.

I agree with the "Buy an acoustic" guys, I totally forgot about them :o

And as for the website... I wasn't talking £800... why would anybody just starting out give a flying **** about an £800 guitar :confused: . Just trying to show him good deals for <£250 tbh :p

Soldato
Here's how I started.

First I started with a classical guitar, which has nylon strings and are very easy on the fingers. I learned the basic chords, E, A, G, Em, Am, Bm, B, etc... I could only fingerpick using my index and thumb before. I started around January 2004

Then after about 7months, I bought a fender acoustic steel string guitar. I can now fingerpick using all my fingers, and my plectrum control is very good now. My style of playing is mainly fingerpicking/flamenco. I also managed to learn how to play barre chords. Barre chords are quite difficult to master straight away, you need to build up strength in your fingers to barre cleanly.

About 3 months later I bought a fender electric guitar and fender amp. I'm learning some rock licks now. So anyway, I play the acoustic guitar to play fingerpick style songs, and the electric guitar for some rock tunes with the plectrum. But really, the guitar you buy depends on what style you play.

And btw, I didn't take any lessons. I read up on tabs and chord charts, etc. Another useful software is guitar pro 5. If you have the determination, you can teach yourself. Start with the basics first. :)

Last edited:
Associate
All this acoustic vs electric stuff to begin with is all fine and well, but id say get the guitar that suits the music you want to play. If youre a big slipknot fan, then yeah okay you could get an acoustic, but are you really gonna wanna play that much with it? Likewise if youre into classical guitar, then an electric aint going to be that great either.

I started on an electric and have had no problems playing acoustic. I much prefer electric anyway because of the kind of music i like (should point out, not slipknot :) ). Basically i reckon its best to get whatever you really want, because as long as you're enjoying it and stick with it, if you wanted then to get an acoustic or an electric (whichever you dont have) it is just a matter of a slight adaptation in technique. So just think about what you really want then go for it. Whichever you start with you most probably will want the other soon enough anyway so start with the one that is going to keep you playing.

Bottom line is, there are probably benefits from starting with each, but personally i dont think it will make a massive difference once you have reached a certain level of competancy. That comes with practice, and you are more likely to practice on the tyoe of guitar that you really want and that matches the stuff you want to play.

Good luck

Soldato
Completely ignore everyone who says start on an acoustic/classical.

I've played electric, acoustic and classical for a long time and I can tell you acoustic or classical are definately not easier to begin with.

To play a classical or acoustic guitar properly without it sounding like completely grabage you have to have much more precise technique. If you wanted to learn acoustic or classical then definately go for it but i'd suggest you at least have some strength and dexterity in your fingers first, it's for the prime reason I was told by my old teacher to get into classical that it actually makes you work harder and is also the reason I encourage a lot of my students to have a go.

If you want to learn how to play things which are mostly played on the electric, then get an electric guitar as you can play everything you want on an electric with it still sounding fairly decent. If you want to go down the singing and accompaniment route then get an acoustic later, or if you fancy learning how to read music and performing more classicaly orientated music then go get a classical.

Associate
To be fair most people who say start acoustic don't say its because its easier to play. It is because it is harder to play that you should in theory develop good technique faster then you would perhaps if playing on an electric. But again the point stands, if you dont enjoy playing it, then you wont practice and you wont improve. So pick whatever you like and then worry about buying more guitars later.

Soldato
have a guitar for sale on the MM, yamaha f310 acoustic which is the perfect starting guitar and not too expensive should you find that you cant be arsed to learn (LIKE ME!). Email me if interested

Back
Top Bottom