Bike or Car at 17?

Soldato
17 in April. And because of my college class all being a bit older and talking about cars all the time (of which i know nothing about, or motorbikes...) sort of been thinking about what i want

i've been told i can't get a decent bike till im 21. I wouldn't really want a dirt bike looking motorbike, cos ... well... don't like the look of em. Not quite sure how i'd afford a slightly half decent bike but meh i cba to work that out at the moment

or a car ... but if i get a car, i want it to look good :p. Not bothered about how fast it goes as long as its over 100mph ish... doubt i'll go faster than that often anyway (well of course ... i never would as its illegal but you know ...). But the main reason i'd prefer a bike is so like pulling out of lanes/over taking etc is easier..faster acceleration. i'd always worry that my car (if i had one) would be too slow at acceleration.....

sorry if this doesn't make much sense... but what would you reccomend ... car or bike, at 17?

Man of Honour
I'd recommend a car.

And who cares about top speed - it's irrelevent. I'd rather have a car that did 0-60 in 7 seconds but was limited to 80mph than one that did 120mph but 0-60 in 12 seconds.

Acceleration > Top Speed.

Associate
Well most cars that people usually start out on (eg, micras, puntos et al.) will have pretty poor acceleration. But, they do have heating and you could even put in a nice radio if there isnt one already! Looking good is one thing, but i wouldnt like a bike if first i didnt have a car if only for the wet soggy mornings.

Soldato
Id personally go for a car. Much more practical for you as transport if you need to take anything anywhere. Yes it will be slower but you then get 5 seats, a boot, music, heating/aircon, comfy seats.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
I'd recommend a car.

And who cares about top speed - it's irrelevent. I'd rather have a car that did 0-60 in 7 seconds but was limited to 80mph than one that did 120mph but 0-60 in 12 seconds.

Acceleration > Top Speed.
Depends. A limited top speed is different to an achievable top speed. An achievable top speed of 80mph would be chronically annoying (In the range of 35-40hp for an everyday car) regardless of weight.

Soldato
OP
If it rains i'd get a bus :p. Unless its sunday. Then i'd be screwed... no busses where i live. I've lived 16 years without using cars much so if it rained, and i had a bike, i wouldn't be that bothered (well ..... .i say that now lol but not sure if id say the same once i've got used to own bike)

I have no idea about prices either ... how much for a nice looking black (don't think colour makes that much difference? but i would want a black car) car, fiesta sort of size, that has quite fast aceleration. I know this is a bit of a stupid question, as you could spend as much as you want, but as its at least 3 months away, i have no idea how much money i'll have by then... (so really its a how much would be the min i could get a decentish car that isnt expensive). damn it ... this isn't making much sense - sorry

cheers

Man of Honour
Firstly you dont pick a cheap car based on colour becuase you'll miss out on loads of good buys. Secondly a Fiesta sized car with 'good acceleration' is expensive to insure becuase lots of kids buy them, run out of talent, and crash into things.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Firstly you dont pick a cheap car based on colour becuase you'll miss out on loads of good buys. Secondly a Fiesta sized car with 'good acceleration' is expensive to insure becuase lots of kids buy them, run out of talent, and crash into things.

If I did get a car (well or a bike even), it would have to look moderatly good. And black = the best colour for cars, IMO. But yeh thinking about it, when propperly looking for a car i guess colour wouldn't matter too much.

I wish cars were a lot easier to understand. And cheaper. And if insurance was cheaper. But meh can't see all those changing (maybe understanding how cars work but not really interested so doubt it lol)

Man of Honour
Chronicle said:
If I did get a car (well or a bike even), it would have to look moderatly good. And black = the best colour for cars, IMO. But yeh thinking about it, when propperly looking for a car i guess colour wouldn't matter too much.

It's actually the worst colour especially for older cars becuase it shows up EVERY single mark and looks very tatty, very fast. A mint condition black car is fantastic but how many mint black Fiestas will you find, errr very few.

I looked a 530i Sport the other day, up for £11k, was in exceptional condition but the paintwork - you could see swirl marks etc that other colours hide..

Soldato
OP
Bit OT, but pointless making a new thread ... how much would a full respray be (not doing it youself, getting a propper company to do it), approx?

Also, whats the max CC of a bike, at 17? is it 125?

Associate
whats best company for insurance, I paid 1500 for my 1.4 clio but my m8s getting quotes of over 2000 no matter what car he uses we both live in same area what other factors could it be.

Man of Honour
Chronicle said:
Bit OT, but pointless making a new thread ... how much would a full respray be (not doing it youself, getting a propper company to do it), approx?

£1500-£2000.

Ie, a waste of money and not an option.

Man of Honour
I'll go against what the others are saying. If you don't solely rely on transporting yourself around, (i.e. you can blag a lift or get a bus if necessary) get a motorbike. You can get yourself a restricted 125 or if you do your test you can ride any bike as long as it's restricted to 33bhp.

My reasoning is that even though it isn't the most practical solution, you will become a much better driver. The experience of driving a motorbike on the roads cannot be matched by a car. You will learn to read the road surface, you will learn to be alert, you will learn to read other drivers and be able to predict to some extent their movements. The difference between doing this in a car and a bike is that on a bike you are a smaller target, people don't see you and consequently it appears that most car drivers are trying their best to kill you.

IMO you aren't a good driver until you've had some sort of motorcycle expereince, especially at your age.

Soldato
Scuzi is correct. I have never ridden a bike but my friend who has is even more alert than I am (and my awareness is pretty damn good) and he flew through his driving test last month after a few car lessons.

Soldato
But that is not to say you are a bad driver if you have no motorcyle experience.

Basically you can put it bluntly:

More expensive, but comes with a roof and safter to drive especially in very wet weather - A car.

Less expensive, just as good transport wise, but less safer and you get cold and wet. - A bike.

:)

Speed does not matter you have a pretty good chance of writing any car off in your first few years so it might as well be a crap one. Insurance is no win for our age group anyway no matter what car, you are not paying for the damage to your own car, you are paying for the damage you will do to others. :(

Associate
Bike!

Im with Scuzi too.
A bike may not be as practical but once you've ridden one for a year you'll learn how dangerous cars really are!.
It will also give you better better awareness of whats around you.

Back
Top Bottom