• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

do i really need thermal cpu paste?

Soldato
basically ive got a 4 year old amd athlon 2400 + with retail heatsink and fan, i just wanna chuck it into my new shuttle, do i really need cpu thermal paste, as this will put my build back a few days, its not a gaming pc, just for playing music really hence the move into a shuttle case,

Cheers

Associate
I agree the xp2400's do run quite warm and for the sake of a few days i personally don't think it is worth the riisk of frying your cpu.

Permabanned
just smear abit of the old stuff around abit, if its the hard stuff, then dont bother, it'll be ok as long as you aint overclocking it.

Associate
You could alwyas try sslipping it, you'd get great contact between the core and the heat sink if you polised it, but i'm guessing that if you dont have thermal paste, you're not going to have the means to polish the heat sink :p

Soldato
Load of rubbish tbh, for a few days and without the cpu being stressed it should be fine without any paste. Like i said you will need to get some at some point though.

Soldato
Hi,

haha some people get so carried away and *exagerate* things

i.e:

*OMG!! DUDE!!!! Your house will burn down and your crops will fail for seven years!!!!!!!!!!" :eek:

Yes you can run your cpu *without* any thermal goops applied, it will just run hotter.

Heat is not a problem until you reach a certain temperature (60°C +) Most people who post on these forums (including myself) are obsessed with the ancient art known as *over-cooling* ;)

Soldato
Owned one of these for a few years, and yeah theyre toasty little blighters at times - ive seen a mate fry an XP2000 after about 6 months without thermal paste - you not got a PC shop nearby?

I personally wouldnt risk it just incase.

*sweet memories of the smell of a Cyrix 233 @ 667*

Back
Top Bottom